Oldmxr

Sep 26, 2001
My son races a 2001 Yamaha PW 50. He rides it to its full potential(and winning most of the time) is there anything I can do to give it more power. I have taken the silencer/Sparkarrestor out and there was no power restrictor on the exhaust(we live in Colorado so they remove them at the dealership secondary to altitude). Any ideas.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Have you checked for the restrictor at the exhaust port where the pipe bolts up. I seem to recall that being where it was on ours. Basically it's just a washer so don't be tricked. Also I'm pretty sure if you mill the head and add a few base gaskets you can gain a bit because the ports are never fully exposed. Removing the oil injection system is a way to loose a little weight then just mix you own. Also I believe Cobra makes an exhaust if you want that expense.

Be sure to check whatever rules you are governed by to be sure the mods are legal.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Same thing - Just bigger engine...

I was wondering the same thing about the PW-80.

I have twin sons and I was wondering what I could do to their bikes to get more power and perhaps help the suspension out a bit.

It wasn't too long ago that the PW was the primary bike used for the Pee Wee class. I know that they used to modify the crud out of them. What happened to all the suppliers?

-jeffd

Dec 20, 2000
i work at a motorcycle salvage yard, and i know that yamaha QT 50 rearends
are a hot item with the PW50's becuase they have the same motor, just in a motor scooter. because the scotter is designed for the road it has taller gearing, i think one of the dads says it tops out at like 40-45. maybe im wrong

Top Bottom