PW 80 Performance

Hey Guyz....i picked up a 2003 Yamaha PW 80 for myself to use as a pitbike this year.....could someone please list all of the free performance mods along with the payed for modss? Also what performance gain you get from it? :eek: Any help would be great.....thanks alot Pete :flame: :yeehaw:

48t rear sprocket, drilled out the welded in restricion in mouth of pipe, disabled autolube, leaned the needle 1 clip, longer rear shock, spacers in front fork to preload springs, more fork oil, Maxxis IT tires. I posted on the shock somewhere months ago. The bike wheelies in 2nd, will stand straight up in 1st :)

:worship: What did you find had the best performance increase? should i start by taking out the welded in ristrictor in the pipe and the airbox snorkle? Thanks for the help Pete

:) Hey guyz....this is a list of what i have been thinking about doing to my 2003 Yamaha PW80R....

Intake:
-Twin Air Filter
-Remove Airbox Snorkel

Exhaust:
-Drill out stock restrictor in "expansion chamber"
-Remove Sparky
Then......
-FMF Fatty Pipe
-FMF Powercore2 Silencer

Tires:
-Michelin Starcross Mini Tires
-Tubes

Suspension:
-Minibike Heavy Front Fork Springs
-Heavy Weight Oil
-Works Suspension TT-R 90 Shock

Body:
Factory Effec Full Graphics and Trim Kit

Controls:
-Tag Metals Mini Works Bars (IF FITS)

Drive:
Renthal R1 "Works" 420 Chain
Any Front & Rear Sprockets

Motor: (Hopefull make em in the next couple months)
High Compression Head from Cycle Riders

Ill start with the intake tomorrow....and a new plug! :aj:
What do you think will have the biggest performance gain? (BESIDES HEAD) Please add on to the list as much as possible!!! Thankz Pete :thumb: :yeehaw: :flame:

Instead of Dremel I used a large diameter bit in the drill press, then cleaned it up with a snap-on brand high speed rotary grinding die (DESIGNED FOR USE IN PNEUMATIC GRINDER) to clean it up. (sorry about caps- accident).

KawieKX125

Subscriber
I just picked up a mint 86 big wheel 80 (like a pw80 with quad tires on it), and this thread is just the info I wanted. Thanks!

VERY IMPORTANT: Everyone, DONT!!! remove the snorkel in the air box....i did it today and sucked dirt in and ****ed the bike up...luckly it pulled it self through after about an hour....we have 2 2003 Pw 80r's and on is completely stock, and the other is getting mods done......the gains were minimal and the bike revved a little faster, but its not worth the risk....especially riding in sand, mud and water....hope we can keep this thread going with more mods to do to the little Zinger Race Bike!! oh yeah, add these to the hop up list!

Body:
-Yamaha Racing Cleated Footpegs

Engine:
-Maxima 927 Castor Premix

something else i cant remember! DAMMIT!!!
anywayz ill talk to ya guyz tomorrow.....thanks Pete
Do regular MX grips (Renthals fit on the bike?) thanks again! :yeehaw:

boyessen dual stage reeds,fatty pipe and silencer,move the needle,steel footpegs,scott grips,extended the rear shock(moves the seat up 4 inches),michelin tires,15w fork oil,uni sells air vents (filtered air vents)they are round w/foam filters in them-just drill a 1"hole in the airbox and slide them in, i have 2 in mine -9.99 for 6 thru dennis kirk.compart # 30-1545.the bike runs like a two stroke should,but it still isn't a kx65 and if i were to do anything else(high comp.piston)the suspension would need major attention. my 8 year old came off a xr50 and loves the pw80 it ought to last him a another year or so till i step him up to the 65.and yes regular size grips fit it

:thumb: First off, boyesen does make reeds for the PW80.....its in the denniskirk catalog, i think? now for my question, how does your PW run from the bottom end....mine is pretty much stock and bogs....the bog was helped a little without the snorkel but it screwed my bike up so it deninently wasnt worth it! so, which mod that you did woke the bike up the most? what is the difference between stock pipe and the FMF....besides the silencer not being so restrictive....is the noise level raised alot? how hard was it to do the boyesen reeds? how much gain did it make? im sry about all the questions but im trying to find all the best mods to do, while keeping the bike bulletproof! i want to create the ultimate Pw80R Race Bike!!!!!! Thanks again for the help guyz, keep it coming!!

when i first got this bike i went down on the main jet from the 125 to a 120 and it helped clean up a lot of the mid range.the pipe extends the mid range and is extremely loud w/out the silencer w/the silencer its not much louder than stock.the reeds are a pain to install only because the 4 or 5 screws holding the plate down are nearly impossible to get to(need a longgg screwdriver and very short one,a socket adapter would probably help).reeds add to the snap off the bottom .if you are gonna keep it i would go with the pipe and silencer(sell them on e-bay when you get rid of it)for the most hit at once. Also dropping down one on the front sprocket will improve takeoff ,but hurt your topend.Like i posted before all this on the pw80 makes it perform the way it should have come from the factory- without hurting the reliability ,but it still isn't a rocket.the higher compression piston would probably do the trick but i'm not sure if its worth it.Hope this helps