WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
I talked to em' and they said they will make a high compression head, not piston....WISECO makes oversized pistons for the little Zinger! they will take your head and do **** to it for more compression for about 75-80$ i think.....ill talk to ya lata! :aj:

RHarper

Jun 6, 2005
joereitman said:
48t rear sprocket, drilled out the welded in restricion in mouth of pipe, disabled autolube, leaned the needle 1 clip, longer rear shock, spacers in front fork to preload springs, more fork oil, Maxxis IT tires. I posted on the shock somewhere months ago. The bike wheelies in 2nd, will stand straight up in 1st :)

Nothing like blowing the dust off an old post. I've read several times about drilling out the welded in restriction in the mouth of the pipe.

When someone says mouth, are they talking about where the pipe meets the head?

When I took out the removable restrictor in the pipe, the pipe seemed to condence right back down to the same diameter that the restrictor condenced it to before it was removed. There seems to be two round inserts that lead all the way into the pipe itself. Are they the welded in restrictors? They look like they come out. I hope this makes sence.

Growing up my father always wrenched on my bikes. So I'm just learning.

TIA

h2otech1

Jun 22, 2005
BW80 Rebuild w/ Hop-Ups

Finally, I have found some info on the BW/PW performance upgrades. After years of teaching my kids to ride on our BW80, the last two years the bike has been storing dust since my youngest moved to his new RM85. For fun, he wanted to rebuild the bike, ground up. We are about 75% complete. Here's what's happend so far:

Purchased KTM65 stock pipe from e**Y. Cut each bend and refabed the entire pipe to match the fit of the bike. Am using the stock silencer, but this may change after its fired. The fatty chamber looks awesome, but has yet to be tested.

Complete sandblasting on all parts with new 05' Yamaha color scheme of silver / blue.

PRO Taper XR-50 hop-up bars, look excellent. Polished most every aluminum part on the bike including front fork tubes, caps and risers. Also used new PW80 dust seals on forks rather than the old fork boots, much cleaner look.

Have seen a 1' riser on e**Y to fit on the shock for higher lift. Maybe an option, but like the idea of drilling another hole for shock remount. Saves about $30 bones.

After the bike is back together, I will run motor stock w/pipe to troubleshoot performance. Raising carb needle also seems to be a good option. Changes of sprockets?? Maybe.

Completely removed air box (POS design), keep carb snorkel and are using a 1" UNI filter. More airflow should equal better breathing plus looks alot cleaner as well.

Wish list after firing, change piston to 0.40 over stock.

Will post further as time progresses. Thanks to all for the good tips!!!

NewbieRider80

Dec 18, 2005
PW-80 Exhaust restriction?

You guys have talked about drilling something out in the pipe to make it less restrictive? could somebody that knows wut they are doing explain how to do this in detail please?

alcoolj

Jul 16, 2006
any chance of some pics of this restricter in the pipe i dont want to go hacking away without knowing what im doing and great forum hope i can add something useful

abbuB

Aug 28, 2006
Hey yall! Great post by the way. How about some pics of your mods for those of use who are visual learners? And new to modding bikes. Thanks!!!! ;)

abuse

Sep 16, 2006
Yeah, can someone get some pics on what to cut off? I cut the cone off of the exhaust, is that it? Maybe some links to the mods of where you got them from? I just got this bike and I am wanting to do some mods to mine as well. Thanks!

sporty hog

Jan 12, 2008
PW 80 mods

Well, my son and I have changed his PW a bit. We lifted the back with a simple shock extender. The front was raised by adapting a YZ 80 front end. That bolts on but you have got to drill the front hub assy for the larger axle. Not too hard. then the full FMF system allows it to spit out the bad stuff that the Boyesen power reeds pump in. Shaving the head brought the compression up a bit. Removing every other ball in the clutch raised the rpm grab. Pirelli tires were our choice. Fly bars, Factory Effects seat cover, YZ front plastics and custom graphics give it some eyeball. We are playing with carb mods now but this little PW stands for attention, and gets it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom