WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
Hey Guyz....i picked up a 2003 Yamaha PW 80 for myself to use as a pitbike this year.....could someone please list all of the free performance mods along with the payed for modss? Also what performance gain you get from it? :eek: Any help would be great.....thanks alot Pete :flame: :yeehaw:

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
48t rear sprocket, drilled out the welded in restricion in mouth of pipe, disabled autolube, leaned the needle 1 clip, longer rear shock, spacers in front fork to preload springs, more fork oil, Maxxis IT tires. I posted on the shock somewhere months ago. The bike wheelies in 2nd, will stand straight up in 1st :)

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
:worship: What did you find had the best performance increase? should i start by taking out the welded in ristrictor in the pipe and the airbox snorkle? Thanks for the help Pete

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
:) Hey guyz....this is a list of what i have been thinking about doing to my 2003 Yamaha PW80R....

Intake:
-Twin Air Filter
-Remove Airbox Snorkel

Exhaust:
-Drill out stock restrictor in "expansion chamber"
-Remove Sparky
Then......
-FMF Fatty Pipe
-FMF Powercore2 Silencer

Tires:
-Michelin Starcross Mini Tires
-Tubes

Suspension:
-Minibike Heavy Front Fork Springs
-Heavy Weight Oil
-Works Suspension TT-R 90 Shock

Body:
Factory Effec Full Graphics and Trim Kit

Controls:
-Tag Metals Mini Works Bars (IF FITS)

Drive:
Renthal R1 "Works" 420 Chain
Any Front & Rear Sprockets

Motor: (Hopefull make em in the next couple months)
High Compression Head from Cycle Riders

Ill start with the intake tomorrow....and a new plug! :aj:
What do you think will have the biggest performance gain? (BESIDES HEAD) Please add on to the list as much as possible!!! Thankz Pete :thumb: :yeehaw: :flame:

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
Instead of Dremel I used a large diameter bit in the drill press, then cleaned it up with a snap-on brand high speed rotary grinding die (DESIGNED FOR USE IN PNEUMATIC GRINDER) to clean it up. (sorry about caps- accident).

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
VERY IMPORTANT: Everyone, DONT!!! remove the snorkel in the air box....i did it today and sucked dirt in and ****ed the bike up...luckly it pulled it self through after about an hour....we have 2 2003 Pw 80r's and on is completely stock, and the other is getting mods done......the gains were minimal and the bike revved a little faster, but its not worth the risk....especially riding in sand, mud and water....hope we can keep this thread going with more mods to do to the little Zinger Race Bike!! oh yeah, add these to the hop up list!

Body:
-Yamaha Racing Cleated Footpegs

Engine:
-Maxima 927 Castor Premix

something else i cant remember! DAMMIT!!!
anywayz ill talk to ya guyz tomorrow.....thanks Pete
Do regular MX grips (Renthals fit on the bike?) thanks again! :yeehaw:

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
boyessen dual stage reeds,fatty pipe and silencer,move the needle,steel footpegs,scott grips,extended the rear shock(moves the seat up 4 inches),michelin tires,15w fork oil,uni sells air vents (filtered air vents)they are round w/foam filters in them-just drill a 1"hole in the airbox and slide them in, i have 2 in mine -9.99 for 6 thru dennis kirk.compart # 30-1545.the bike runs like a two stroke should,but it still isn't a kx65 and if i were to do anything else(high comp.piston)the suspension would need major attention. my 8 year old came off a xr50 and loves the pw80 it ought to last him a another year or so till i step him up to the 65.and yes regular size grips fit it

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
:thumb: First off, boyesen does make reeds for the PW80.....its in the denniskirk catalog, i think? now for my question, how does your PW run from the bottom end....mine is pretty much stock and bogs....the bog was helped a little without the snorkel but it screwed my bike up so it deninently wasnt worth it! so, which mod that you did woke the bike up the most? what is the difference between stock pipe and the FMF....besides the silencer not being so restrictive....is the noise level raised alot? how hard was it to do the boyesen reeds? how much gain did it make? im sry about all the questions but im trying to find all the best mods to do, while keeping the bike bulletproof! i want to create the ultimate Pw80R Race Bike!!!!!! Thanks again for the help guyz, keep it coming!!

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
when i first got this bike i went down on the main jet from the 125 to a 120 and it helped clean up a lot of the mid range.the pipe extends the mid range and is extremely loud w/out the silencer w/the silencer its not much louder than stock.the reeds are a pain to install only because the 4 or 5 screws holding the plate down are nearly impossible to get to(need a longgg screwdriver and very short one,a socket adapter would probably help).reeds add to the snap off the bottom .if you are gonna keep it i would go with the pipe and silencer(sell them on e-bay when you get rid of it)for the most hit at once. Also dropping down one on the front sprocket will improve takeoff ,but hurt your topend.Like i posted before all this on the pw80 makes it perform the way it should have come from the factory- without hurting the reliability ,but it still isn't a rocket.the higher compression piston would probably do the trick but i'm not sure if its worth it.Hope this helps

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
WhiteBros, maybe they used to. I looked in DennisKirk as well as others and had my friend who works ast a Yamaha dealer call boyesen and then dont make one. They make a reed fo rthe 50 but not the 80.

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
Here's my updated Upgrades List!

2003 PW 80R
- FMF Fatty Pipe
- FMF Power Core 2 Silencer
- Tag Metals T2 Mini Works Handlebars
- Tag Metals Big Bar Mounts
- Tag Metals Big Bar Pad
- Michelin Star Cross Mini Tires
- Twin Air Filter
- Boyesen Reeds
- Factory Effex Graphics & Seat Cover
- Renthal R1 Works 420 Chain
- Sun Star Front & Rear Sprockets
- Works Performance Rear Shock
- Mini Bike Stiff Fork
- Yamaha Steal Cleated Foot Pegs
- Renthal Grips

Im keeping this bike 4 ever.....i hate to sell bikes, just like my 426...that wont go untill the new bike arives! :cool: Anyways,
since im runing stock jetting, what will i need to do jetting wise for all these mods....richer/leaner u think? Id like to get more bottom end snap and midrange, cause that is what i use most while racing.....Any other tips would be great!!! :aj: Lata....P.S. what did you pay for your FMF pipe and silencer? CYCLE RIDERS? TTYL :flame:

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
:worship: 140 for the pipe and 70 for the silencer-before the pipe i was running the leaner jet (120) after i put the pipe back on i went back to the 125.I would rather run a little rich than risk running too lean :flame: :yeehaw:

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
:aj: yeah that sounds like the prices there giving me! the stock jet is 125? right? im going to order the Power Core 2 Silencer and a Twin Air Filter to start the mods.....is the Uni filter any better? and the silencer make a difference in performance and sound? im thinking about running Maxima 927 Castor Oil (Premix)....i always run Amsoil Injector Oil (Synthetic) or Amsoil 100:1 Oil in premix bikes but fell in love with the smell of the 927 .......what do u think about that? Maybe some renthal half waffles for looks! thanks guyz.....talk to you tomorrow! :eek:

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
yes 125 is stock and the bike did feel a little faster with the silencer,but it may have just been the smoother exhaust note-i'm not sure. i still run injected since this is my sons and i want to keep it as easy as possible to get ready to go places(other bikes a 4 stroke).when i get some time i am going to add a spacer to the fork springs to try and stiffen them up a little along with the shock spring. :think:

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
hey whitebros -how does the modified pw80 compre to the stock one?and about the filters the only ones i have tried are the MOOSE brand.They are better than stock,but nothing like the qaulity of a filter for a bigger mx bike. :cool:

WhiteBros426

Feb 12, 2004
Its still in the mod. stage....but it is gonna smoke the stock one....the stock one will be getting mods done also, when im done with this one.....it cool to be able to compare the bikes one on one! im ordering the FMF Silencer today and a Twin Air Filter.....what FMF Silencer do you have? PC2 or TC2? is there any difference in lenght between the two? cause i would rather have a shorter on cause it looks more 2-stroke like and it will have a better chance when bailing in the air! :eek: ill get back to you guyz sooon....later Pete and the silencer sounds more 2-stroke like, right? like a zing zing sound vs. the scooter sound! :flame: ok gotta go

christophe43

Nov 29, 2003
i got the PC2-do not know the lenght on the other ,but I don't see how it could possibly be any shorter.Sounds good w/ it and it even looks good.If you talked to the guys at cycle riders did they mention when they were gonna get the high comp.piston? :eek:

Top Bottom