PW 80 shift shaft stuck, kid desperate!

bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
Hello everybody,

I just bought a PW80 for my son who's moving up from his 50. I bought this used bike with one, I thought, minor problem. The previous owner crashed and broke off the shift shaft. I have replaced this item on 125's before without a hitch so I went ahead and bought the bike and a new shaft and seal at the dealer. Here's my problem; the previous (idiot) owner tried to weld the shaft and obviously did not succeed. He did succeed at leaving globs of welding material on the tip of the shaft. Now of course, I can't pull the shaft out. I have succesfully, without causing too much damage, removed as much of the globs as I can with a grinder after I removed the engine from the frame. The shaft still will not come out all the way. My basic question (I know, after a long story) is this: Do I have to split the case to remove the shaft? Is there anything else holding it? I noticed there's a groove about halfway the new shaft. Is there another clip in there? It seems unlikely but I thought I'd ask before I start using a bigger hammer. I can move the shaft about 1/4" but no more. My kid is anxious to go out riding so your help is highly appreciated by him and (a frustrated :bang: ) me!

Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Take a look at this and see if it helps.

CLICK

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
looks like it slides out like most others
did you cut it with a dremel? the edges may be wider, or bent mabe thats why he welded it ? (bent) and stripped the splines)?
keep pulling- but dont break the cases

bigboss_an

Sep 21, 2005
First of all, thanks for your help guys. After I used a dremel to smooth the edges down a bit more and about 5000 good hits with a hammer it finally came out. I think the shaft may have expanded from the welding. It took a lot more force than normal, but finally the job is done. There's absolutely nothing else holding it. Bike runs and shifts perfectly. Thanks again.

Top Bottom