machav63

Jan 11, 2009
Sorry for the long post, but this is what I am up against....

I have a '01 PW50 that won't hold an idle once I close the choke.

My brother-in-law bought the bike for his kids. It was always hard to start for him, but ran well once they got it started. I am pretty sure he did not maintain the bike while he was using it. They stopped riding & it has been sitting for about two years now.

I borrowed the bike to teach my kids to ride. I changed all of the fluids, replaced the spark plug and thoroughly cleaned the carburetor. In fact, I have probably taken it apart three times and cleaned it, just to make sure.

I have not replaced any of the brassware inside yet, but I have cleaned it. I am able to see light through both jets.

I am able to start the bike with the choke open & let it warm up. As soon as close the choke the bike sputters out and dies on me.

I've adjusted the throttle cable, adjusted the air mix screw and the throttle stop screw per specs, checked for vacuum leaks, confirmed I have spark, confirmed I have compression (thumb over the spark hole test), checked that the throttle switch is working properly. I have opened the float bowl drain plug & have fuel flowing out, and cleaned the air filter. I've tried everything I can think of and can't get it to idle.

Taking the suggestion from another forum, I removed the air filter box and sprayed brake clean into the carburetor. When I do this, I am able to keep the bike idling with the choke off.

Any ideas on what I should check next?

Thanks,
Mike

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I had a similar issue with a beat little PW50 I picked up for my son oh so many years ago. I am really anal about cleaning parts and will only use specific brands of carb cleaner because I know they work better than some others. The only thing that finally resolved the idle issue on that little carb was a nice long soak in a gallon can of the parts dip you can pickup at most auto stores. I suspect it's because some of the passages are so tiny that getting cleaner through them with a spray just wasn't possible.

Top Bottom