G22inSC

Jun 6, 2003
The oldest son now has a dirt bike after Christmas. He absolutely loves it. He even had to ride down the snow/mud covered trail yesterday and took a spill right in the mud puddle. Needless to say, I have now learned of the dreaded start/run/off switch and water issue. My problem is I am not an electrician and don't really understand electronics. I started looking and realized there are a lot of electrical connections. It seems there are many more connections than on my big bike. I decided to start unplugging pigtails and checking if the bike would start and then stop by the switch. I still have wires running to the following components:

CDI unit
Magneto (two of the four wires unplugged)
Coil
Plug
Ground

The following components are not connected:
Diode
Control unit

The bike still starts and stops with no known problems. Does this sound correct? Would the bike even start and run if something was not right? Am I risking tearing something up because something is unplugged when it should not be? I just want to eliminate the un-necessary connections to remove more possible issues for water. As a side not, we do not race and have no intention of doing so which eliminates any AMA issues. What do you'll think?

Top Bottom