PW50 Oil Injection...benefits of cutting it?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I've read that the oil injection used on the PW50 causes the bike to run very rich, and that the oil injection may not be a reliable way to lubricate the engine. Of course, the engineers at Yamaha may disagree with that, but...

I'm thinking about this because I want to try a premix oil that is supposed to make less smoke. The PW50 smokes quite a bit right now, doesn't run strong, and the plug is always wet and black.

Are there any benefits to disabling the oil injection and running premix in the PW50?

If so, I've heard that all one has to do is:
- drain the oil tank.
- cut the line between the oil tank and oil injector pump.
- put premix in the gas tank.
- ride.

Am I missing something here? Please help because I was thinking of tweaking the bike this weekend.

Thanks!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I always ran Motul 600 in our PW's, it has a little less smoke, and doesn't dirty up the exhaust port as bad. If you think you are pumping too much oil into the engine, you can adjuts the flow, but it requires a dial gauge. Many people do prefer to completely disable the pump, but know that it will no longer be eligible for AMA sanctioned events. Make sure you plug the line going into the carb if you do. Otherwise you will be creating an air leak.

Top Bottom