lex537

Feb 7, 2011
I have an 03 PW50 that the rear wheel spins backwards when you twist the throttle...When kicking it over the rear wheel spins forward in small increments but once it is running it spins backwards. Any thoughts on what is causing this?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
well, it may be caused by retarded ignition.

when i was kid i had a lot of fun with a friends bike that had run backwards. 5 speed 50cc.
we never get the problem but i guess it doesn´t matter at the time. we were maybe 8-10 years old when first started to learn to ride. his brother borrow my buddys the bike and today, i still think his brother made it on purpose.

do you know how to spell FUN???????????

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well you said when you kick it the rear wheel turns correctly so pull the ignition side cover and do that then note which way the magneto spins. Now start it and note which way it spins. If it's the other direction then it's running backwards. To correct it you will need a service manual to verify how to properly set the timing on that bike. It's been about 15 years since I messed with a PW50.

lex537

Feb 7, 2011
Thanks. I had updated an all the electrical parts (harness, coil, stator, flywheel, etc.) and decided to go back to the old ones and once I did that it worked fine. So it was an electrical issue. I have another project PW50 that I will be doing and will mess with the new electrical parts to see if I can narrow it down to one particular part.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like you may have been able to flip 2 wires to change the polarity. I'm not an electrical wiz so maybe not.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom