PW80 Air Box

talljr1

Jan 15, 2007
I read about a K&N Filter that goes near the carb, which sound like you can remove the air box, but the only thing I can find is K&N p/n YA-8083. That part looks like a filter that goes into the stock air box. Am I missing something? Also, I thought you can just remove the exhaust restrictor plate, but some forums state you must drill it out. The bike is a 2005 if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Matt

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
The restrictor plate is just a washer, you just pull the pipe from the cylinder and take it out. It is that simple.
The KN filter would be a universal clamp on sized to fit, it is not listed as a PW80 part.

talljr1

Jan 15, 2007
Thanks for the response. I am kind of lost on the air filter. If I remove the air box, what does the filter clamp onto? Is it a flat filter or round. I am totally lost on this particular mod. Maybe I will just go with the K&N replacement filter as it is made for this bike.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I have not performed this mod, but it is my understanding that the filter would mount directly to the carb. Take a good look at the carb. I am considering this mod, but I am not sure that I want such an exposed filter. You might also consider the swiss cheese airbox mod (cut holes in the box).

talljr1

Jan 15, 2007
I will probably put in K&N p/n YA-8083 and leave the airbox in as is (maybe some holes). We ride quite a bit in the California Desert which is quite dusty and I don't want to expose the carb.

Thanks again...

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Personally, I'd work with the stock box and maybe the K&N filter. We ride ours in some pretty wet spots and an ocassional creek crossing. Having the airbox sure does keep water out.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…