Yamadog

Oct 12, 2001
I just bought my boy a used 99 PW80. He has a good time on it but it revs poorly and lacks power. I am assuming that there may be some exhaust restriction and probably carb air starvation but I have not had time to investigate. Before I tear into it, can anyone give me the heads up on how to get these bikes running better? It seems to be a well made machine, just bogged down a bit.

R White

Sep 13, 2001
Ok yahamadog heres what I've done to my daughters pw80
step jeting down by one,remove pipe @head remove power restricter,
remove baffel& xdrill on strait part just behind taper 6 times and bend taper in just a little then remove air box at the bottom there's two spots that look like in takes there not use a old soldering iron and melt some holes there about 1in in diameter it'll rip after that:p

Last edited:

Yamadog

Oct 12, 2001
R. White

Thanks for the reply. Last night I took off the exhaust and found that the restrictor was gone. Having a hard time getting the pipe sealed properly (no gasket present) Below where the restrictor washer would have been there is a tapered trumpet shaped baffle, but it did not appear to be removable it looked to be welded to the outer pipe. Is this the baffle you spoke of?
I took off the airbox cover and the rpm's immediately climbed. So I drilled two holes in the lower outside airbox as you described. It looked like there was very little chance for air to get in there. I ran out of time but I may try to move the jet clip up one notch as you suggested.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom