Mar 17, 2007
PW80 CARB problem-stuck wide open HELP!

Just bought a 2005 pw 80. When the bike is put into 1st gear(no one sitting on the bike) every 3 or 4 seconds it wants to hunch forward like its been given a small amount of gas(no gas given, at regular idle speed). When he is siting on the bike, it will not hunch forward but you can see the chain raising like the sprocket is trying to turn and go forward. Is there something wrong with the transmission/clutches? Nothing seems to be slipping while he is riding it just the hunching forward when stopped. The carb is dripping gas from the overflow on the bottom of the carb. Could this be whats causing the slight pull forward? There was a heavy child riding the bike before I bought it. This doesnt seem normal to me...whats wrong with it?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2007
Thanks for the help...now here is one for you!! I took the bowl off of the carb tonight and cleaned it...reinstalled bowl, fired it up and it is stuck wide open!! What did I do wrong? Did I install the the bowl wrong or what??????? But it is not pouring gas out the overflow anymore. :bang:

Jan 3, 2007
I have done this with my quad once before. I used steel wool around the carb slide and the inside where the carb slide is placed. But all along the needle did not go into the hole so the throttle stuck open.

daddyrat

Jun 3, 2007
My son's PW80 clutch lurches idling in first gear also. I just pulled it apart and the clutch plates were fine. I found that it goes away with the idle turned down. I'm thinking I may try to stretch the springs a bit. Any ideas?

UPDATE... I pulled 4 of the 12 roller balls out of the clutch per the PW performance thread. This is a night a day difference in clutch operation and would recommend it to everyone. It now will idle with no lurching in gear and will give a firm grab as RPM's rise. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom