Q: torque for front sprocket bolt on CRF? ++

zag

Aug 10, 2000
Hi

What's the right torque for front sprocket bolt on 04 CRF? It ain't in the manual that came with the bike. Yamaha's included shop manual has spoilt me.

Also, any guesses on how much clearance is enough clearance for mounting an o-ring chain? I got an RK XW chain (0.820" wide) and it touched the cases. So I got a Fastway washer. Now there -appears- to be .025" clearance between the rivets and the cases when the chain is pushed to the right. Is this enough, or will muddy conditions grind the cases?

Thanks in advance.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
~40ft. lbs. should be plenty for the sprocket bolt.

Some use a spacer so they can run a larger size chain, but it is not the best practice. I would take the chain off and run a straight edge from the rear to the front sprocket and see how the alignment looks. Off just a little bit (<1/8") should be workable, but very much out of plane and it will cause your chain and sprockets to wear much faster than normal.
The sprocket being run with a spacer is always going to be pulled towards the case and it can make it rough if your chain is carrying debris.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by zag
Hi

What's the right torque for front sprocket bolt on 04 CRF? It ain't in the manual that came with the bike.

The torque isn't in the manual??

26 Nm (20 ft. lbs.) sez the shop manual...

I run a Regina O-Ring w/ the spacer and have had no problems, no evidence of any contact, but I don't see much mud.

zag

Aug 10, 2000
Thanks, guys. I ordered a shop manual today. The owner's manual has a lot of educational (for me) setup info, and --almost-- all the basic torque specs, just not this one. I break less stuff when I use a torque wrench!

As to the clearance, I guess I'll find out this weekend...

Top Bottom