Q's on good gear for KDX longevity - long

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

I know this is long, and out there, but I'd appreciate all the expertise that the KDX riders here can offer.  My '00 KDX is almost stock. I've got a ProCircuit pipe, '98 XR 400 springs, removed airbox lid, and 12T front sprocket.  Other than that it's the way Kawasaki built it.

I spent an extremely fun day last saturday riding the KDX with a friend in the Chadwick, MO Mark Twain Nat'l Forest riding area.  It was a *huge* amount of fun, but really opened my eyes to the potential damage my bike could receive.  Lots of rocks, boulders, shale step-rock, etc.  I can see pranged radiators or pipes occuring quickly.  Not to mention I broke yet *another* clutch perch u-clamp when the bike fell over.  So, I'm looking to "armor" my bike.  I want to protect the money I've put into the bike, and keep it in the best shape possible for a long time.

I'm making my purchase from the Tucker Rocky parts catalog.  I've got a contact that allows me a significant discount on parts through a dealer.  I know Enduro Engineering guards are well regarded, and I can buy them through TR as the MSR units.  So, here's the current list of parts I plan on ordering immediately. 

Let me know what you guys think/recommend.  You'll probably have experience with some of this stuff, and I don't.  I've listed TR part numbers 

51-1529 Works Connection skid plate  (wrap around to protect water pump) 
34-0958 Works Connection radiator braces
11-6385 UFO KDX front disc guard (UFO plastic)       
07-0972 MSR radiator guards  by Crone Racing (to protect fins from debris)          
34-0222 Pipe guard (typical segmented aluminum thing)                     
34-0352 MSR black plastic hand guards (to fit on deflectors)  
34-0346 MSR Dominator silver AL deflectors        
04-0607 Boyesen Power Reeds             
46-9634 Keihin pilot jet #45            
46-9632 Keihin pilot jet #42            
46-9632 Keihin pilot jet #40            

I still have a few questions, and I'd appreciate any experienced input. 

I've seen that the cheap, $20 bars are easy to bend.  I try to spend no more than necessary, but I also realize that some times the best value is a little more $$$ up front.  That being said...are Pro-Tapers the way to go with bars?  I realize these will require new clamps for the triple, as well as Pro-Taper specific deflectors (bark busters).  Is it worth the expense, or should I just keep a couple of spare $20 bars handy?  Will the MSR "bark busters" on the regular steel bars serve to keep them from bending as much/often?

Levers...should I go with the MSR "Dominator grip lever set", which is basically the "shorty" levers with rubber grip inserts?  My understanding is that I will have to cut/trim standard-size levers to fit in the deflectors anyway...so maybe I should get the shorty levers to keep the ball and have the nice rubber pads?

Is there any benefit of going with an aftermarket UNI air filter vs stock?

I'm going for "armor" and durability moreso than trick race parts.  If there are any other items I need (rear caliper guard?  rear rotor guard? certain lever perches?), or that would be recommended, I'd appreciate it.  I plan on making this large order at one time, and bolting it all on when it gets here.

I want to protect the money I have in the bike, and also ensure that I can spend my days riding, vs breaking stuff.  I feel that the rocky/tree infested/banging off stuff environment of the KDX may result in different recommendations than the typical MX rider would give.  So, I've asked here.  What's a common break item on the KDX?  Rear brake lever?  Shift lever?  I want to be prepared for the most fun during my riding, as opposed to "dang, I wish I had bought xxxx because now yyyyy is broken."

I'm also open to any other goodies I should get.  I've got 145, 150, 155, 160 main jets, and I'm ordering 40, 42 & 45 pilot jets.  I'm ordering Boyesen Power reeds, although a V-Force DII may be in the cards eventually.

I've tried to do my homework on this stuff, but I always appreciate input from people with real-world experience.  Thanks for any and all responses & recommendations.

Brandon

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Enduro Engineering hand guards are the best purchace I made for saving levers and hands. I tried radiator guards, but they caused overheating due to restricted air flow.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
You did not mention shift and brake lever protection. I've bent my shifter more than any thing else on the XR 400. It is soft as butter so no harm done but it can be inconvenient. My KDX shifter looks a lot more substantial. I'd worry about busting the shifter shaft. So far I haven't bent it up, but maybe it could use some protection? Will the skid plate cover that?

Karl

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
My pipe usually gets it before the shifter.

If you opt for that Moose-type Al pipe guard, consider...

after bending it to shape (takes some effort) goop the inside with thick beads and round puddles of rtv, then resist putting it on until the next day. the RTV can eliminate metal-metal contact, better distribute impact, and can dampen some pipe noise.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Brandon,your on to some good stuff there.Works rad braces...awesome,msr guards too.Boyesen reeds i like,the moose skid plate i have,however does not cover water pump is a nice piece.By all means go with the EE bark busters and the shorty lever ,again awesome set up.Moose pipe armor i won't do again...too tough to make fit.I spent an hr with a mallet beating,twisting and still not real happy with the fit.I have Renthal bars on one bike but i really like the PT's i have on the kdx.With a one piece cap/damper mount holding them on ,it's a very solid deal that holds up well.Not many favor plastic disc covers but i have found the acerbis cover to do the job while taking a beating itself.I just now after 4 yrs cracked one but it was quite cold out so that might have been part of it?What about a damper....they are like armor too....if it saved you from a crash it protected the bike lol.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Sorry i forgot,things i feel are riding weekend savers are.A spare master link,shifter,being able to change a flat,extra air filters,jets.Keep the stock exhaust on the shelf in the garage...ya never know.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Brandon, I praise you for doing your homework. I have several of the items you listed.

On a couple of side notes, the MSR Dominator Levers(I tried them) I don't think the shortness works very well(IMO) for $10 more you can go with a Moose Pro Perch, very nice.

As for bar ends, they are all the same until you step into Cycra's Pro Bends, then it's a whole different game, as for cutting levers, not sure about that, didn't have to do it for mine, MSR Bars and Moose Guards and stock levers.

I am running Devol Disc Guards F&R. I love 'em, they take abuse well, and if you scratch them you can buff them out.

Radiator guards, same, a must. Right choice.

As for brake and shifter cables, my decision is still out. Last ride a stick jammed between the frame and the brake rendering it inoperable. Took 5 min to get it out. They are suppored to prevent this. Hhhhmmm.....

Good luck with your purchases. :thumb:

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Their is lots of good stuff you can do to your bike. I have made the following mods. and like them ALOT

Works Connection Skid Plate - A MUST
Works Connection Rad Braces - Good choice ( will pay for themselves in one bad crash)
Works Connection Frame Guards - Very nice but only when you have cash
Hands Guards - A MUST HAVE
Front Disk cover/guard - A Must
Delta V-Force II reed cage - Kicks the Rad valves butt
WER steering stabilizer - You won't believe the difference
Pro Taper Bars - AWESOME
FMF Fatty pipe - Good Choice
UNI Air Filter - Very good choice

Next is the rear disk guard
As for bang for the buck - Proformance: The Delta V-Force II reed cage is absolutely awesome. THE WER is a very close second. In the area of Protection: The covers and guards are awesome protection for little investment. But the Pro Tapers are very much worth the money. My buddies seem to buy bars once a month. I have yet to buy a pair (cross my fingers)

One last thing - spend the extra money to get heavy duty tubes and the green slime in the tubes

Just my .02 worth of good mods. to protect and help your bike run at top notch.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom