ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Well you guys helped me decide what bike I'm going to be getting so I was hoping that you can do the same for my fiance. She only wants a 4-wheeler and I prefer Honda or Yamaha. but may consider kawi or zuki just depends i guess.

When we talked about what she wants this was what she said. "I just wanna push the gas and go" :blah:
I told her that unless she wants a kids quad or a huge 4x4 it's going to have gears but I'd like to know what you guys think...
I was thinking like a 250ex or something that she's not going to get bored on... Pluss i'll want to ride it too seing that I'm buying it so it's gotta have some kinda get up and go.

Your thoughts?

Jan 10, 2006
An ex has gears and a clutch. I do not think that is going to fit the bill. Also you will not enjoy riding it becasue it is a dog when it comes to power. I had the same problem and had to settle for a 325 polaris. You just put it in high or low and go. It is 2x4 and has plenty of power for the girls and is okay for me just to put around on. Also it was much cheeper than most anything else I could find in that size.

I know this was not the answer that you were looking for but if she wants easy going, give it to her. She will not get stressed out over the gears and clutch and the point is so you two can ride together. This way, you will.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
thing2_and_thing1 said:
An ex has gears and a clutch. I do not think that is going to fit the bill. Also you will not enjoy riding it becasue it is a dog when it comes to power. I had the same problem and had to settle for a 325 polaris. You just put it in high or low and go. It is 2x4 and has plenty of power for the girls and is okay for me just to put around on. Also it was much cheeper than most anything else I could find in that size.

I know this was not the answer that you were looking for but if she wants easy going, give it to her. She will not get stressed out over the gears and clutch and the point is so you two can ride together. This way, you will.

Actually, I hadnt even thought about polaris. I know the ex has gears and a clutch i was just thinking that it would be fun for the both of us but the i've never riden one so not sure about the power. If it's a weakling, i dont want it.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I have a 2000 EX300 I think it has plenty of power.I mean it always could use more,let's be real it's not a Alcohol injected supercharged Banshee on nitrous :aj: :boss: ..but it is easy to ride and maintain. When needed it will do wheelies and doughnutz. I would recommend the EX300,shoot if you lived close I'd let you ride mine to decide for yourself. OH BTW it has reverse.

My Opinion

Crazy

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
crazy4nitro said:
I have a 2000 EX300 I think it has plenty of power.I mean it always could use more,let's be real it's not a Alcohol injected supercharged Banshee on nitrous :aj: :boss: ..but it is easy to ride and maintain. When needed it will do wheelies and doughnutz. I would recommend the EX300,shoot if you lived close I'd let you ride mine to decide for yourself. OH BTW it has reverse.

My Opinion

Crazy

I think it would be the perfect size/power for her but I know she doesnt want to fool around with the clutch/gears.. Thats the only downside of the 300ex from what i can see.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
ls1cameric said:
I think it would be the perfect size/power for her but I know she doesnt want to fool around with the clutch/gears.. Thats the only downside of the 300ex from what i can see.

My wife got over that real fast...*shrug*

Crazy

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
The 250EX is auto clutch and is fun for guys to ride if your are not hitting doubles and such. That is what I got my wife after her XR100 got stolen. They are great for the casual rider, electric start, add gas only, auto clutch 4 speed, reverse.
I beat the snot out of it on a small around the house track with some small singles that is too small for my CR, and take it to tracks when a "non-rider" friend wants to tag along. Virtually anyone can get on and ride confidently in 5 minutes, and you can actually hit small jumps, and it is a Honda 4 stroke, so all things are as reliable as you can get for a non-racer.

The 300EX has all the same with a more race inspired motor/suspension, but you get the manual clutch.
Stan

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Good points Stan,I was not aware the the 250EX was an auto..that would probably be the best option..

Crazy

ChadInColo

Feb 14, 2005
Only one

I'd go for a Polaris Sport or Scrambler (same thing, changed names depending on year) 400. It's a 2 stroke, auto clutch, available in 2 or 4 wheel drive, very quick stock (once it's tuned, come rediculously rich jetting) and can be modified to run with about anything (in quads, won't touch most bikes). Handle trails great, dunes good, great all-around 4 wheeler.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
crazy4nitro said:
My wife got over that real fast...*shrug*

Crazy

I'm thinking that once she realized how much fun shed have on it compared to a heavy 4x4, she'd get over it quick too. I'lll have to let her ride one and decide for herself...

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
ChadInColo said:
I'd go for a Polaris Sport or Scrambler (same thing, changed names depending on year) 400. It's a 2 stroke, auto clutch, available in 2 or 4 wheel drive, very quick stock (once it's tuned, come rediculously rich jetting) and can be modified to run with about anything (in quads, won't touch most bikes). Handle trails great, dunes good, great all-around 4 wheeler.

So theres not a gear box... kinda like my old lt80, you just smash the trottle and go? I think that would be perfect.. And it's pretty quick too huh? Gonna chec em out.

ChadInColo

Feb 14, 2005
Gearbox

ls1cameric said:
So theres not a gear box... kinda like my old lt80, you just smash the trottle and go? I think that would be perfect.. And it's pretty quick too huh? Gonna chec em out.

It's got a gearbox, but it's only forward, neutral, reverse. It's got the same kind of clutches as a snowmobile, so yes, just push the gas, farther you push it, faster you go.

I personally don't understand "don't get her one, then she'll want to go". I WANT my wife to go, she won't ride a motorcycle, so at least a 4-wheeler gets her along. :cool: And you've got to admit, a 4-wheeler is easier to take a kid along.

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
Ya, I second the Scrambler 400's, I've ridden one and they are pretty quick...It's a 2 wheel drive, the 500 scrambler is the 4wd and it is a 4stroke....

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
ls1cameric said:

well i should put my .02 in from a quadders point of view........ the 250ex has a manual clutch of what i my knowledge is of the 250ex.... i know that anything bigger in the EX line up has a manual clutch. the honda foreman ES (electric shift) i''ve heard is nice. im not a big fan of honda (quads and cars, their d-bikes are somewhat nice) you can get the foreman's in like 350, 400 and 500 i believe. its got an auto clutch, but with the ES you can still shift your own gears with your thumb.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i would let her know that she should worry more about the suspension, unless you plan on doing 15 mph with her for hours on end

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
The scrambler is like a couch if I remember, really soft suspension and big seat....it has the same engine as my Xplorer 400 but with different transmission (I think)....but ya, they are pretty comfy if I remember.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i'd go for the scrambler 400 2 wd. then she's got some power but not enough to scare the crap out of her. and the scrammy is a automatic. the 500 is a 4wd, i think you cant get the scrammy 500 in 2wd too.

Top Bottom