RebelBanshee

Aug 18, 2007
Im a quad rider (yeah yeah I know, bring on the names) looking to make a switch to two wheels. Finding good parts for my old TRX250R is getting harder and Id like a new challenge. I ride aggressive (dont use it to prune apple trees or haul beer and I have a full set of gear :laugh: ), but have no bike experience.

Id like to spend $2500 tops on a bike, so im looking at 00-04 CR250s and YZ250s. Perhaps older if the condition and price is right.

I do alot of fairly open woods. Not super tight, 50" at the narrowest. Alot of hills too. Also, some light MX...no big tripples 50ft. is probably the biggest I hit.

I would like to know which bike and what years are preferable. Smooth power for the woods and plush suspention are what Im most concerned with. Also at 6"3' I dont want a bike that has smallish ergonomics.

Any advice is appreciated. :cool:

1) your physical size 6'3" 180lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Very
3) what do you plan to ride- Mostly woods (not super tight single track), with some light MX
4) Do you have any riding experience? Lots on a quad, none on a bike
5) Do you think you will race ? Possibly some harescrambles
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Im not afraid to do anything
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Honda or Yamaha 250 2 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? good on dealers
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $2500 tops
10) Do you live in California? heck no
11) Your age? 23
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

May 10, 2007
horses have more bottom end....

i would acually look at the 450. a 250 2t has plenty of power but for a beginner (quads are nothing like bikes) it is pretty powerful and you will need to be careful.

also if you want to ride trails a 450 has more bottom end. dont get me wrong a 250 2t has power everywhere but a 450 still has more bottom.

Jan 3, 2007
I would go for a late model YZ250 because with some minor tunning (flywheel weight, pipe, and gearing) it becomes a wounderful wods bike and can still handle MX duty. It will work much better in the woods vs. a 450 MXer. Plus, its cheaper to rebuild the engines.

RebelBanshee

Aug 18, 2007
any specific years? or are 00-04 pretty similar? Thanks

a 450 is not a option. I dont like 4 strokes, especially in the woods and at rebuild time.

May 1, 2007
I would just wait for a deal to pop up and snag it. Dont worry about the color. They all go vroom and they all can be setup ANY way you want. If you are used to riding sport quads then you most likely understand the power of a 2smoke and its dangerous powerband. As long as you are not too aggressive at first you can get the hang of anything.

Jan 3, 2007
If a 2 stroke has no LOW END then why is GNCC have a ton of riders on 250 2 strokes. Also, the red bull LastMan Standing was won on a 2 stroke along with the 2nd place. My 465 makes more bottom end grunt then you can shake a stick at.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
RebelBanshee said:
Id take up horseback riding before i rode a 4 stroke

Well said!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

As far as your orginal question goes, when ever you buy used always get the newest one.

And the cleaner the better. It doesn't have to be modified, unless it has something done that you would do yourself. Just make sure that it's clean and in good repair.

A recent top end job would be a major plus.

Top Bottom