shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Ok, just a quick question...I have managed to mangle my stock pipe on my '02 Cr250 and I'm looking at new ones. :| I'm not looking for a performance gain, as I have already read the opinions on that and I understand that it more than likely won't happen.

So my question is this: Who has the best "quality" out there? Is there a differance? Or should I just get the shiney one? -LOL- I'm going to leave the stock silencer, so I just need a new expansion chamber. Looked at service honda's pipes and they're about $35-40 more than aftermarket.

Any one have any opinions?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
if you are happy with the stock one, then look on ebay- lots of people replace the pipe and sell of the stock one cheap.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I have only seen PC and FMF's and they look pretty much the same(no the same power characteritics though) and they dent just as easily if not easier than the stocker. but buy or make a pipe guard for the next pipe (goto Just KDX found else were in this forum to get directions on how to make pipe guard, really a neat piece of info!)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Good advice, look on ebay them make a pipe gaurd.. I noticed that RD's bike has a pipe gaurd, i wonder if Honda did that cause of K-Dub :laugh:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
my experience with fmf's and dg's is that they don't fit very well. pro circuit and bill's had a good fit.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
After searching a few more threads, looking at FMF's and PC's web sites, I have come to the conclusion that there really is not a differance between the two. So I'll just get the shiney one! :)

Seriously though, thanks for your replies, there has been more than one person say that PC fits better...thanks mx547 for backing that up! Theres some nice pipes on ebay, but I'd like to be riding again asap so...maybe that's a future spare investment.

Bills pipes are really hard to get any info on, does anyone have any experiences with them? My understanding is that these pipes mearly "move the power". With that being said, I'll go out on a limb and ask which pipe improves the lower end the best (if any performance is seen at all) PC or Bills?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Lots of people comment that the PC pipes have a much nicer, longer-lasting finish than the FMF pipes. My KTM has an FMF Gnarly on it and it definitely takes some steel wool to bring it back, at which point it's not chrome colored by has a less shiney finish. To their credit, FMF's Web site says they call them Gold Series because with use they turn a goldish hue.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Oh yeah, another thing and take it for what it's worth. I've read in the mag test that the Bill's pipes always score well on the RMs and are more hit-and-miss on the other bikes.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Ok, thanks dougroost, I have heard that due to tooling variences performance issues can be somewhat of an issue. It amazes me that stock pipes are soooo much more than aftermarket...is this an issue of "you get what you pay for"? I can't possibly see forking out that much more $$ for a stocker will make that much of a differance. I liked my stock pipe...but...I'm looking for an increase in the bottom end anyway, if I get it with the PC then I guess I win! Except with the wife! :flame:

Well, thanks guys, I'll check back before I commit to see if anyone else has any oppinions.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Wow..I seen an old thread were someone mentioned a $75 pipe...I went there and couldn't find it...thanks a ton Adrian591.

I heard someone say in one of the threads that I was reading that the '03 pipe could be used on the '02...don't quote me though...I'll see if I can find it for you.

Last edited:

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I put a bills pipe and silencer on my 2002 RM 250 and love it. Power may be slighlty more, but it also makes the power way more usable by smoothing out the big middle hit and increasing lower end and top end.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I keep hearing that the stock pipe on the CR is plenty., But From what I hear Dynoport pipes are a bit thicker than the Pro cirsuits and the FMF's. But I'd so look arround for someone trying to sell a stock pipe.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have had good luck with my Pro Circuit pipr, i fall down alot and it holds up well) if you are still interested in a stock 02 pipe, PM me I'll sell ya mine for $50 and shipping, (1 ride on it no dings).

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
The FMF Gnarly pipes are made from 18 gauge steel and supposed to be a stronger pipe to resist dings & dents.
Check it out here:
http://www.fmfracing.com/gnarlypipe.cfm

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Originally posted by cr250john
The FMF Gnarly pipes are made from 18 gauge steel and supposed to be a stronger pipe to resist dings & dents.
Check it out here:
http://www.fmfracing.com/gnarlypipe.cfm

The PC's are too...made of 18 gage that is...
http://shop.procircuit.com//s/shop/item.asp?hardparts=1&id=343492

BEEF706, thanks for the offer, I have given it alot of consideration and I think that I'm going to try the PC. If i get any performance improvements with it at all I'd be happier I think, besides, it's shiney! ;) (Not that shiney REALLY matters!)

Thanks everyone for your input...I know I can always count on you guys to help make up my mind for me! :)

Zuki

Apr 23, 2003
This link might answer most of your questions.... It's a great article to read. http://www.dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0302_pipe/

Steven

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I don't know what to make of those pipe shootouts.
I feel the exact opposite of what they said the Doma pipe did to the YZ250...on my bike it takes a little bottom away, and really screams mid-top on up. Almost like a big 125, the overrev is awesome for a 250. The stock pipe is a lot smoother and has a wider power range. I also have a V-Force, but I doubt that it makes that big of a difference in how the pipe affects the bike.

Top Bottom