dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you favor long 50+ mile rides in sloppy conditions on a powerful bike, a good quality 'o' or 'x' ring is the best choice, IMO.

Any maintenance procedure that involves time also has a cost.

I would love to learn some new tips on how to make this sport more affordable, but I'm going to have to see some compelling evidence before I'd consider a switch.

ml36

Aug 27, 2001
very good point dave. i am very limited when it comes to finding time to maintain by bike. time is money, and i can't afford to waste 3 hrs after a ride cleaning my chain. i scrub it with a chain brush, rinse well with low pressure hose, and spray her down with penetrating oil while still wet (keeps the chain from rusting and disperses water out of any unwanted areas). then, in the moring before i load up, i spray on a coat of bel-ray super clean chain lube. but it doesn't matter, cause its all useless after you go through that first nasty mud whole and the rest of the ride your chain is bone dry. all the maintenance in the world won't make up for the fact that when you ride off road, your chain rollers and sprockets are dry of lubrication 90% of the time. now, if ride on mud free tracks all the time, well, that's a different story.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I'm a spode, I don't race, I just wanna get out there with my old buddies and ride, also come home in one piece. I haven't had a dry ride since the spring thaw and even then, there were streams to cross. Although it's only the second chain I've owned (did o-ring) I've learned how to adjust, align, and take care of it (I think) and it's holding out quite well for me. I like it. I think the lube I use has a lot to do with it. Pro Honda HP chainlube.

ML36, I respectfully disagree with you as far as losing your lube after 1 splash. This stuff repels water. It comes off with brake cleaner, has teflon and moly, leaves a waxy finish on the chain. Just the ticket for guys like us that want to do what's necessary to get the most ride with the least amt of maintenence time. It's supposed to keep the rings supple as well (their claim). I sometimes go a few rides without lubing it, and it still has that waxy finish, although the water and grit I ride through almost seems to rinse the big stuff off. It's really is good at not attracting dirt and repelling water. Just my experience and opinion.

Jaybird, I have been doing research on the 'chaindance'. The info I've collected suggests burning a worn (preferrably broken) chain soaked in keroscene and all sorts of carrying on (similar to native american dance) whooping, speaking in tongues, arms spread open to ancestral spirits, etc. also painting one's face with any type of black and/or red grease in preparation. It seems a lot like the old films of ancient native tribal custom. Although I would have little use for it myself, am I on the right track?

ps sorry to be nosy, but why do you keep picking on REYNOME? I think you are getting under his skin. Leave the poor guy alone already!!!

Sincerely,

Chief

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom