question about 4-stroke exhaust applications

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
hey guys, ive been searching around and 4-stroke exhaust systems are a butt-load more expensive than 2-strokes are. a 2-stroke would be like $350 for pipe and silencer from PC or FMF, where as a 4-stroke would be from FMF: $900! PC: $850!
my question is, i know with a 2t you pretty much have to buy a pipe and silencer together unless you want to make it fit. is this the same with a 4t, because ive seen people with a stock header but a, i.e. Ti-4 silencer. on a 2t the pipe is what increases the power( mostly), is it the same on a thumper? if it helps, the 4t id get an exhaust for would be a 06' KX250F which i dont yet have. thanx for any help with simple question.

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
You can get away with just buying the silencer on a 4-stroke.
On a 4-stroke its pretty much all about flow and most of the added flow comes from an aftermarket silencer.
IMO, unless you are a top level rider or have an engine with a bigbore kit you wont notice enough of a difference with an aftermarket headpipe for it to be a worthwhile investment.

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
octane is right, for the money a headpipe is not worth it just go with the silencer. a FMF out of Dennis Kirk usually runs around $270.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Depends on the system for gains. Many get you nothing. But a good designed system will make power for you.

Many 4 stroke pipes are just louder thus people think they are more powerful or faster. But in reality they are just louder.

MRD has been getting really good results and reviews by people. Also full systems like the WB Race series are excellent for more power on the 250fs. Used them on Kawis, Hondas and Yamahas with good power results.

I would personally not get a slip on. Many times the aftermarket headers are larger in diameter and/or have steps in them to help increase/tune the power delivery. With a slip on you are just using the same corked up stock header which many times uses a gasket at the junction to make up the difference from the header to mid pipe. After market pipes dont have this.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
Matt90GT said:
Depends on the system for gains. Many get you nothing. But a good designed system will make power for you.

Many 4 stroke pipes are just louder thus people think they are more powerful or faster. But in reality they are just louder.

MRD has been getting really good results and reviews by people. Also full systems like the WB Race series are excellent for more power on the 250fs. Used them on Kawis, Hondas and Yamahas with good power results.

I would personally not get a slip on. Many times the aftermarket headers are larger in diameter and/or have steps in them to help increase/tune the power delivery. With a slip on you are just using the same corked up stock header which many times uses a gasket at the junction to make up the difference from the header to mid pipe. After market pipes dont have this.

i made this thread back in November, but it appears that someone found it :nod: . so youre saying that a header would do more than a slip-on( just the exhaust/silencer)?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom