Question about aftermarket plastic for XRs

KennyP

Mar 14, 2002
Newbie here so bear with me. I have a 95 XR250L (street/road model). I'm wanting to replace the plastic and possibly go with a plastic gas tank (this one has a metal one on it). My question is, will the CR MX style fenders and plastic tank fit on the XR? If not, are there any companies that make bolt-on parts.

Thanks in advance.

KennyP

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Almost any plastic will fit with modifications. But who wants a cool looking MX fender, that hangs crooked and droops. Check out Acerbis, Maier, UFO etc... XR's Only has some Cemoto stuff www.xrsonly.com. Finally, check out www.partsfish.com, set you up an account and look up your bike. They have all the stock plastics etc... If I were you I would try to find a plastic gas tank to replace your stocker, either from an XR250 or you can get an aftermarket tank. For the rest of the plastics, I would stick with the Honda parts. Just my opinion. Good luck.

KennyP

Mar 14, 2002
SnaggleXR4--thanks for your reply (more)

Thanks for the website information. You don't seem to wild about after market plastic. Is there a company you suggest for gas tanks? I don't like junk. Am I better off sticking with factory stuff.

Thanks again. Kenny P
ride hard, be safe

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
IMS, Clarke and Acerbis make tanks. You will probably have better luck with the first two. I don't have any personal problems with aftermarket plastic. For the fit, and the stock look, OEM is best most of the time. Price is a factor, but alot of times you have to drill your own holes for aftermarket stuff. So for the extra quality, I'll always go OEM on my plastics.

Obviously, the stock tank for your bike will be metal. So you will have to go aftermarket for the tank. You may be able to fit an OEM XR250R plastic tank, but I have no idea how or if it will fit on your 250L. Check out www.clarkemfg.com, they have a 250L(all years) tank for $165 (4.2 gallons).
www.imsproducts.com has a '91-'95 250L 3.2 gallon tank for $225. From what I've heard about tanks for XR650R's, most people seem to be happier with the Clarke tanks for the fit, finish, color matching and price. Do some research. Good luck.

Top Bottom