question about best kind of dirt bike tire to use

Paul1212

Sep 26, 2005
Hi. I'm looking for advice about whether I should use a different kind of tire on my motorcycle. I ride a Honda XL250 (Degree) dirt bike, and use the Vee Rubber VRM 206 tire.
product_detail.asp
It's a pretty knobby tire that's supposed to be good on both paved roads and dirt roads. I do 99% of my riding on paved roads (tarmac), and am thinking that I'd get better traction if I used a less-knobby tire that has more rubber on the road. Maybe something like the Metzeler Enduro 1, which is primarily for on-road riding, but advertises that it gives "satisfying performance on light off-road terrains".
template_categorie.jhtml
I've had one potentially serious fall when I braked on a rain-slick road at about 50 mph and the bike went down almost immediately (it had only rained for about 5 minutes after not having rained for a long time, so the road was especially slick). I live in Thailand, and if I decide to switch tires, it'll take some searching; the shop that sold me the motorcycle only has the knobby tires. But I'm willing to do that if it'll make my riding safer. I've also thought about having two sets of tires and switching to the off-road set if I'm going to be riding on dirt a lot.
If anyone has any helpful suggestions, I'd appreciate it a lot.
- Paul

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
I ran the pirelli mt60 on my xl500 dual sport and it worked great on road and even when i was aggressive off road it still worked fine even with a dinosaur 500 pushing it. I used it in all types of riding and it worked great in all except mud where it kept the mud packed in the tread and became a slick :| but other than that I was very happy with it. also being in thailand and with a dealer with only one knobby the pirelli wears very long so you should be able to go several months and still have a meaty tires.

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catal...owser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_MT60_ONOFF.xml

Paul1212

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I'm still looking at different options. The Pirelli MT60 looks good for both on and off road. A Vee Rubber rep I talked to recommeds the Vee VRM193.
- Paul

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
mmz77 said:

So are you just a little thick upstairs or do you really believe a Dunlop D756 is the best choice of tire for someone who spends 99+ % of his time on the road?

My guess is this is the only tire you are actually familiar with as it's the only tire I've seen you recommend to anyone regardless of the circumstances. Once again if you can't supply an answer appropriate to the original posters question there is no obligation to respond.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
As much as I love the 756, I can't recommend it for the pavement, either. It actually sticks about as well as I'd expect any real knobby on pavement but it will only last about 100 miles.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Chili said:
So are you just a little thick upstairs or do you really believe a Dunlop D756 is the best choice of tire for someone who spends 99+ % of his time on the road?

My guess is this is the only tire you are actually familiar with as it's the only tire I've seen you recommend to anyone regardless of the circumstances. Once again if you can't supply an answer appropriate to the original posters question there is no obligation to respond.
I learned to read the whole article for once and yes I know that it is not good for pavement. I must have been busy or something and made the wrong decision in posting that. :bang:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
I wonder if I could bring this discussion up again?

I'm considering ordering road tires for my 2006 Suzuki dr200se. Unless my ttr dies, I'll only be riding it on the road for another year or so. I typically commute and fun ride it between 45 & 60 mph, although on a non-windy day I'll exceed that if it feels good. (I'm a flat out coward in the wind.)

I'll hang onto my other tires, and swap them out when I take this bike onto the dirt.

I'd be grateful for some further input. A straight road tire is probably best? As economical as reasonable & safe, please.

Thanks to all in advance.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom