Question about Brown Mtn. North Carolina

Oct 8, 2000
Next friday several of my friends and myself are going to Brown Mtn. for a couple of days of riding. I need to know what the terrain is like. I have Dunlop 756's on my bike at this time. I need to know if the ground has gotten too hard for these tires and if I should remount the stock hardpack rubber. I need this info as soon as possible, I may swap the tires this weekend if needed. Please e-mail me if you can help or post answer on this board. Thanks Guys!:)

Cordova

Sep 8, 2000
Hello

Well look like you have found the right place!
This is a awsome place to ride. I ride there all the time, just about 8 miles up the road :cool:. It is a very rocky place, but so fun. I have the same tire on my KDX and it does great up there. I have ridden up there in the dryest to wettest, foggest condistion and you cant not have a good time. Though this has been the worst week, for I dont know if you have heard. But last Friday, a ATV rider lost his life, when his 4-wheeler tiped over on him in a creek crossing on trail one. He was riding alone and hit slowly crushed him to death, I highly recomind riding with friends the whole time there. I am off work next weekend :p so maybe I will see you up there, I have a Little Ford Ranger, and there will be 2 KDXs , and 1 YZ 125, drop me a line if ya see me.

Cordova

Sep 8, 2000
I love trail 9. Its my favorite. Had my worst crash there though :confused: . Theres a big bolder sitting in the middle of the trail , and you must go up around the right side of it, because the rest is a cliff off sort of thing. Well leave it to me to try and go up the cliff side, and off the mountain I go :D . Its a great place though. Camp grounds, make sure you pay, and have the ticket on you at all times, dont fly threw the parking lot. Have they gotten the picnic thing built yet? I havent been up there in about 3 weeks, because I have been working alot. But that is soon to change. Ride trail 1, they should still have it open, maybe one area will be closed. Trials 3, 5, and 7 are the hardest trails. If you like the rocks, then there is a little section on trail one, its called the stair step.:scream: I am scared of this little section, becarefull if you tackle that one. Hit the main trail, and ride it to the top of the mountain, try trail 4, its a good little trail, get back on 1 and cut on to trail 9, then you can decide if you want to ride 9, or you can take 10, its a really cool jump trail, you can get some nice air, but keep in mind the sharp turns that fallow. Have a good trip up there. I dont know if i will make it or not, depends on if I get the new chain, and sprocket by then. Have fun!!!

Cordova

Sep 8, 2000
Kali

Theres alot of cool places to ride here in NC. Its a great Dirtbiker state :) . I forget really about most of them, but there is a Indain national forest just east of Charotte, I have heard its super nice, and wide open riding. Brown Mountain is my favorite, and a place called Telico is spose to be good. I will get some more info on places here, my friend has rode almost everywhere here, and the other 50 states:confused:. so he should be able to help out. and a ton of MX tracks, I suggest you try BM sometime, you will be hooked. Nice sandy, rocky, muddy, dusty, open trails to ride all day. Plus you can get great pictures from a big rock up on trail 2. You have to climb about 50ft of boulders but.. I have been there alot. You can hunt there, fish, camp, sing, dance, anything you want to. The best time to go is weekdays, weekends are so packed. Get there early for one of those.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I still haven't fully moved here yet (didn't sell the house yet) but doesn't Mike Andrews have a track up on Poplar Tent Road? I know there is a Mountain bike track but I also heard that there was a motocross track. Am I right?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'll go to one! I couldn't justify going to FL but somewhere in NC or even upstate SC would be great. I always wanted to go to one. I'm for it!

BIG_AIR2003

Sep 5, 2000
sound good to me I might actually be able to go considering my mom would have to take me because I don't get my license until july:( and the trails are only about an hour away.

ThumpinByYou

May 8, 2001
you guys have to dial me in to where all the trails and tracks are. I just moved here not to long ago, so I am rather clueless.
I'm looking for a close track that holds frequent races with a good showing of people? I heard of 4 tracks in my area Devils Ridge in sanford, Full Throttle in durham, some track in clayton... moto park east??, and some track in apex that gary semic is running a school out of...beckwith??. Do any of you guys have any info on these tracks??
Also, I'm looking for some recreational trail riding places in the raleighwood, cary, and apex area??
Any info would help seeing that I know very little

Last edited:

andym

Jun 3, 2000
If you guys want to do a mini-spodefest I'm up for the ride. Brown Mtn is about 3 hours south for me. Just let me know a time and meeting place.

Cordova

Sep 8, 2000
Im game

Anytime you guys want to go you just tell us about it. Im only about 10 mins away from Brown Mountain. Maybe sometime over the summer, like June or something. I will just get off from work that week, and be up there.

Cordova

Sep 8, 2000
not so game

Well, I still may be able to make it. This weekend, I suffered a broken finger which is going to have surgury(maybe hopefully not), stiches, and alot more goodies. I was riding in alittle field that has a nice tabletop on it along with a few other jumps, me and my bro was kickin threw, when we came upon the last lap. he got off the berm quick, and I pinned it, caught up to him, I dont know what happened all I seen was the rear tire lock up. So I had to swerve off to the left, and hit the table in 3rd gear pinned. upon the 10ft of air, I pulled off a very good superman indian air, upon landing my left leg was resting upon the seat, and I had the trodle pinned. then we dove into the ground about 25 mph, and the rest is a big cloud of dust, and small concusion. So i will be on the injuried list for awhile. thanks

Top Bottom