Question about buying a spare rim / wheel.

carl1864

Sep 22, 2009
I have a 93 kawasaki kx250, and my girlfriend has a 01 kx100. We ride in the sand half the time, and the dirt the other half, and I have grown extremely tired of taking all the time to change our tires back and forth all the time.

I'm shopping for spare rims for us, but am having a tough time knowing what is compatible. For example, I know kawasaki may use the same rim for a range of many years, but how do I find out what that range is? For example, I found a decent deal on a rim from a '96 kx100, will that be the identical rim that's on a '01 kx100 or not? What are the year ranges?

Also, are rims even manufacturer specific, or are they more universal like car rims where you just buy the right size, but it can come from any manufacturer? For example, can I likely buy a yz250 rim or cr250 rim and fit it on my kx250 just fine? What do I look for to know if it fits right?

Thanks.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The short answer is there is no easy answer.

What I usually do is check the part number for my year and then start working my way backward and forward until the part number changes. I seriously doubt the 96 KX100 wheel would match the 01 since the frame changed significantly in 97 or 98 (if I remember correctly).

Sometimes the manufacturers part number may change from one year to the next but an aftermarket company's might not (implying there was a slight difference in the OEM parts but the aftermarket ones (and probably the OEM ones, too) will still work).

Top Bottom