Question about converting a dirtbike to street legal in California

lennyspall

May 17, 2008
I know that the "offical stance" is that after 2004 no more dirtbikes were allowed to be converted to street legal. Yet if you look through classifieds like Craigslist you can find newer (2005 on) dirtbikes that are licensed, here's a great example,

Link to the ad went here but had to remove it in order to post this, sorry

A 2006 Honda CRF250X thats plated ! Anyone know how this is getting done, because I can't get my 2006 TTR plated :bang:

Somebody must know a way around the system, any secrets or help would be great, and quickly, I paid $30 for just over a 1/4 tank of gas for my F150 and paying over $4 a gallon is getting old fast :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
I believe the cut-off date is 2002. The dmv goes by the vin number. The 250 X has the wrong vin number and although the owner may have gotten a license plate for it, chances are dmv will catch it and issue him a red sticker. If the eighth diget in the vin number is a 'C' or a '3' it cannot be licensed.

There are several new models that qualify for a license. KTM offers a few and the new Yamaha dual-sport is street legal. Older XR's, pre-2002 can be licensed and so can a 2002 CRF Honda or WR Yamahas.

Go to the So Cal Wrecking Crew forum in the Western Chapter and do a search on 'DMV Directive 888.'

Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
I think it's possible to register a dual sport in another state and then bring it over to california but I have no idea about any specifics for doing so.

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
I've heard of people liscensing there Motorcycles in Vermont (for around $160ish I think), then either transferring it to their home state, or running the Vermont plates. But if your using it as a commuter, driving the same streets all the time, the local cops might get suspicious of you and your Vermont plates going by all the time.

Straight from the Vermont DOT -

"Q: Does a person have to be a resident of Vermont in order to register a vehicle in Vermont?
A: No.

Q: How do I register a motorcycle in Vermont when I purchased the motorcycle in another state?
A: You must provide DMV with the following: a completed Registration Application (form #TA-VD-119), the bill of sale, the title to the motorcycle, an updated (current) odometer statement and payment of the proper fees. If you did not purchase the motorcycle from a dealer (if you purchased it from a private individual) you will also need a "Visual Verification of Serial Number" completed. If you had registered the motorcycle in another state you will also need proof of the amount of tax paid to the other state"

You would also have to check with the Cali laws and see if they would allow the transfer, or if it is strictly 'No after-2004 dirtbikes on the streets'.

Also, I've heard people from Wisconsin finding someone who lives in Michigan, ''selling'' their motorcycle to them, have that person liscense it in Michigan, then ''selling'' it back to the previos owner, and then transfering the license to WI. But this would be hard for you, since you live on the other side of the nation.

mdhpper

May 29, 2008
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. In the next couple of weeks I will try to get a plate for my KDX 250 in So Cal. I anyone has any tips or tricks for getting it done, please post here or send me a PM.

Top Bottom