question about cr airbox sealing issue

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I recently bought a near new 03 cr250 and have read on here that there is a leak issue in the airbox to filter seal. I haven't had mine apart yet but i gather it's a foam gasket that seals the airboot to the plastic airbox? Do i need to buy a mxbonz repair kit or can i just scrap the foam gasket and get some hondabond or some other oil resistant silicone and create a seal between the boot and box? I live in a desert like climate with heavy dust. Don't want to fry my motor.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Mx-bonz kit has received rave reviews. It is the best option in my opinion. It is a very good idea to check the airbox seal before riding. Mine was leaking very bad and my bike is an 03250 also

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Damn, i just did a search and this is a common problem. Sounds like some people just used a gas resistant silicone in between the boot and the box with rivets. I need to buy a pressure suit so cash is tight right now for the mxbonz kit, but i don't want to wreck my motor either. Anybody have good luck with the gas resitant sealing trick, or should i just bight the bullet and buy the mxbonz kit?

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I purchased the MX Bonz kit. I was pleased with the fit and I have not had any leaks since. There is a little dremel work involved with it (cutting the nipples off the box if I remember right). I have not tried just using sealant, but thought I throw in my $.02 about the Mx Bonz kit.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Thanks guys. I'm going to order some hondabond 4 and try that. I'll monitor the air boot regularily since i clean my filter after every ride. If i get leaks i'll buy the mxbonz kit.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Talked to my local honda dealer and he said they used hondabond weatherstrip or something like that when they had the airbox issues back in 02 and 03. They have that stuff in stock and he is ordering me the hondabond 4. Which should i use? I just looked at honda's site and they have the HT (high temp) or 4 (elastic gasket). I think he must have meant HT.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
High temp is a waste on the air box. Save some money - go to the auto parts store and get some RTV intake sealant.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
mxbonz says that the kit is for 2002-current to give the bike a fighting chance. Might a marketing ploy for the newer models though. I'm going with hondabond 4 and going to seal and monitor it regualarily on filter cleanings.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
rosscopeeko said:
I recently bought a near new 03 cr250 and have read on here that there is a leak issue in the airbox to filter seal. I haven't had mine apart yet but i gather it's a foam gasket that seals the airboot to the plastic airbox? Do i need to buy a mxbonz repair kit or can i just scrap the foam gasket and get some hondabond or some other oil resistant silicone and create a seal between the boot and box? I live in a desert like climate with heavy dust. Don't want to fry my motor.

Sounds like the responses are to two different topics: the boot to airbox seal and the filter to airbox seal.

The problem I saw with my 03 was that the filter didn't fit as snug as I'd like against the airbox (I understand the 02 is worse). I used a Twin Air cage and filter made for the cage that lets the filter seat snugly against the airbox.

I used Permatex Ultra Black on the boot seal, but I've been doing that for years out of paranoia! :)

:ride:

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Ok, so i bought some hondabond 4. I noticed there is a foam gasket that is inbetween the air boot and air box. I'm thinking i leave that gasket in place and just seal around the inner joining surface and leave it at that??? My filter doesn't seem to fit all that great against the airbox too. I just bought a twinair filter and i'll try that. I'm just going to make sure i use a good sealing lip grease. When i took the airfilter off there was no sign of any dust in my air boot so i was happy. All i have left to do before i ride this is beast is take apart the rear linkage and grease that, seal this airbox/airboot union, clean and lube the chain with mx1000, and i'm off. Thanks for all the help guys.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
I don't think the 03's have that issue...The 02's seem to be the one with the problem...I haven't noticed any leak issues with mine and use the stock setup...My Buddy's 04's same deal no problems.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
never a speck of dust in my stock boxed 03

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
My 03 did leak alot before I fixed it. The 03 also has the problem but not as widespread as the 02.

Top Bottom