zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Are they basically stock dimensions? Found a DG pipe for an 86 KX125, would like to know if it'll offer performance increase, or if it's basically a less expensive stocker.

I know Pro Circuit still makes pipes for this bike, but they're $189!!! I found this DG pipe on Ebay for only $75.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
DG's are like OEM replacements they copy the stock dimensions exactly. So don't expect performance increase from the DG pipe.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I don't agree w/ MXP1MP. DG has pretty much faded from the scene, but back in the '70s and '80s, they were as big as Pro Circuit on the performance scene. I had a DG pipe on my '88 RM 80 and it made a big difference. Smoother, wider powerband over the stock pipe. Also had one on my dad's '87 YZ125. It replaced the ProCircuit pipe that was on the bike when we bought it. We noticed no difference between it and the PC pipe.
The pipe you found on eBay sounds like a good deal if it's in decent shape.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
los36, my sentiments exactley. DG was near the head of the pack into the late 80's. Any idea's on what happened?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I remember gettign a DG catalog back around 1990. It was filled with JetSki and ATV performance parts. The MX section was relatively small. I don't know how they are doing in those markets today, though.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Zio,

For $75.00, just get the thing. :confused:

los36 & Irish are both correct. DG was a great performance company back in the day. As I recall (we're depending on 15-16 y/o memories here) the DG pipe was a better all around performer than the FMF, Procircuit, Answer (yes, Answer used to sell expansion chambers), & stock pipes that were available back then, but their mufflers were junk.

DG's faded from the current scene primarily because they put most of their effort into ATV's & then when that maket bombed out in 89 or 90 they were left with a lot of overhead & little income.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
DG was a major player - they also had a bicycle line and some very cool helmets and apparel.

Back in '76 or '77 I visisted the DG HQ in SoCal. I drooled over their fully tricked out RM80 and YZ80. Picked up their extensive catalog that had Broc Glover on the cover, holeshotting the Hangtown National in '76 on a DG CR125. I wish I still had that catalog!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have had two experiences with dg pipes an 82 rm125 and an 82 rm 250

the rm125 pipe was worlds different than stock so much to the point you could actually see the difference. A very short tapered yet huge diameter midsection. If I remember right it kinda took the hit away from the midrange and added it to the top. The thing felt like it would pull forever andI chickened out before I would actually see how high it would scream.

the rm 250 pipe wasn't as drastic this one took the hit away and addedit to both ends makingit smoother all the way around. took someof the fun out of thebike but made it easier to ride.

Top Bottom