Question about excessive oil residue in muffler.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
On my 96 KX 250, when I run my finger on the inside of the silencer I pick up a lot of oil residue. Right now I am running MX-2T at 32:1. The jetting on the bike seems about right maybe a little rich but the bike runs and idles great. I was wondering if i were to go down to a 40:1 premix if this would solve my problem? Would it also provide my bike with ample oil protection? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

jeremym1234

~SPONSOR~
Jan 12, 2002
40:1 should be just fine, you'll probably barely notice a difference (if at all). I'm not an expert, but all of my two-strokes have drooled at least a little, as long as it's not pooring down the silencer you're probably fine.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by VinnyTAMU
The jetting on the bike seems about right maybe a little rich

Rich jetting would be the cause. Also know that if you use pump gas and not a bike specific race gas that you probably won't be able to get rid of the problem. Running a 40:1 mixture will compound the problem because you will be running more gas in a given volume creating richer jetting across the board.

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
So if I was running race gas and had the jetting fairly close I could eliminate this residue? If so what race gas would you recommend?

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by VinnyTAMU
So if I was running race gas and had the jetting fairly close I could eliminate this residue? If so what race gas would you recommend?

Yes, and VP C12 seems to be pretty popular. There are a few others...do a search and you'll find more than you care about that covers race gas. Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom