Question about MCR fork sub tanks

yzJoKeR

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
I recently bought a used 2002 yz 250 it has the, I guess you call them fork sub tanks.I would call MCR but there off until the new year.My questions are does oil get into these when you ride so do you have to turn them upside down to get the oil back to the forks?Also do you have to bleed the air from the forks with these? I've ridden twice and the suspension feels great I just never had these on the forks be for.

Thanks in advance

JoKeR

rideright

Sep 26, 2002
YES you have to drain the oil once in a while. Because of the design, oil can not help but get into the sub tank and the tank is empty (hollow) with onthing in it to get the oil back into the forks.

There setup in my opinion is not at the level of an ENZO unit, but similiar since MCR knows guys like Nic Wey becasue both are from Michigan and they have all ridden together.

Next, there tank is just a simple empty tank like the the small tank you get at a Paint Ball store for holding nirogen on a paint ball gun and a simple oversized brass Orfice with a level of adjustment and a simple stainless hose and NPT threads all like used on a Paint Ball gun sub tank.

Marcus -- not worth a pic. Just think of a small black anodized alum. tank tie wrapped to the side of a fork. tank is about 3.5" long and about 1" ID.

Several Michigan places sell these sub tank units like it is a huge techno break-through, one place here even tries to get parents of CR85 owners to buy sub tanks before investing is a good set of upper and lower pistons that can be revalved like a good set from GP Racing or MX-Tech.

** as a side note it is funny what happens sometime in all states and I have seen this with several riders that had PC stuff and RG3 stuff, but young riders will use a local guy for suspension help and then get good and get picked up by a factory level company and because of some old loyalties, the rider will let the shop that helped him while growing up tear-down his factory stuff on an off weekend so that the shops can learn from the big guys "whats up" in the world of suspensions and then they copy and sell. That is why most secrects do not last long.

Good Copying is suppose to be a form of flattery, but bad copying is just bad, LOL.

Lots of old threads on this site about sub tanks. Good and Bad.

Good when done for all the right reasons, meaning, after you a the correct springs, the correct oil level, the correct valving specs for you and your riding conditions, BUT BAD when used as a bandage to fix outer ills. Basically it is not the first part you would want to buy.

I have seen many sub tank systems removed and riders happier.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by rideright
...There setup in my opinion is not at the level of an ENZO unit, but similiar since MCR knows guys like Nic Wey...
Why is it not at the level. Is it only in the way it looks or in the design itself? I know the subtank principle is fairly low tech to start with. If you got the two main variables right (tank volume and restrictive barrier) then it has no reason not to be as good as the original.

Top Bottom