Question about natural gas fireplace.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
So I have ventless gas fireplace. It makes this whitish dust that fouls up the pilot sensor in about a month and gets on the wire mesh guard and wooden surround above the unit. It doesn't seem to get on anything else though. Anybody have any idea why it's doing this or how to stop it?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What is burning to leave white ash? What color is the flame on pilot, and what color is it when the whole burner is lit? I have installed 1 of these types for a customer. I am still curious why this appliance does not need venting. Any flame burning releases carbon monoxide, at least that is the story I believe? I am fishing to see if your home is having a battle for oxygen, between you and your appliances? Too many homes are built too tight, and too cheap to compensate with some sort of air handling system to bring fresh air into their home. Just like commercial buildings. Is the front door hard to open sometimes, like its pulling on a draft? I have seen drywall improperly installed, fall off near the entry way, the open and closing makes the drywall flex, and eventually gravity does the rest. Plumbers have known of this issue for decades, some bring a 4" line straight into the mechanical room for fresh draft. They make a fan in a can, in line blowers to help keep fresh air coming in. The 95 percent furnaces and power vent water heaters vent through the wall. There is good and bad there also, as for as needing fresh air, the good furnaces draw air from the outside. All appliances need a light blue flame, or there is another issue somewhere? It may be the incomplete burn is leaving white ash, or the dirty burn is leaving the white ash? Them vent less heaters burn a buttwad of btus. The engineers have fancy formulas for figuring out air needs. But, they did not build the house! Well it looked good on paper? Vintage Bob

madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
so i THINK what bob is trying to say is that you need to introduce more air into your home.

i think!

haha, you're a brilliant dude bob but sometimes hard to follow.

LongGone

Nov 27, 2009
I have a gas fireplace w/ no chimney or vents. Been in the house for about 9 yrs and never had a clogged pilot or burner or anything of that nature. Never cleaned it. Do you have gas logs in it? If you do I might question the type/ brand of them.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007

Well, I think LongGone may be onto something with the logset itself. I bought the firebox off a guy who never istalled it but had it sitting around for a few years. It was a bit dirty but still had the tags attached to the burner. I cleaned it up really well and blew air through everything. I too wondered how anything burning could be ventless? I guess it must be a very complete burn? It has an oxygen sensor that will cut it off if it gets too low and I added a second carbon monoxide detector in the basement just for peice of mind. I haven't noticed any pressure differences in the house. The pilot burns a nice blue flame about two inches long with a small orange tip. It really does put out some kickass heat. The way it causes the air to cirulate is impressive too. I really like it but this residue is annoying. I'm wondering if isn't the logs because the pilot flame touches the center log. I'll try to see if I can adjust things a bit to bring it off the log. Thanks for the input guys.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I've also had issues about every two years with the flame sensor on my furnace getting fouled. I think we have poor quality natural gas around here too?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
The gas pressure sounds ok based on the flame you describe. The pilots for NG have a certain pressure thay must be based on a water column gauge. I run LP and mine was a tad low when I put my new furnace in so I adjusted it at the regulator. Not sure you can do that with NG but see what you have versus what the book says it should be. I'm with Bob - I have a direct vent gas fireplace which in Michigan is code for bedrooms (where mine is). The ventless are approved for other areas but I'd pass on one in favor of the direct vent. Of course you could compare one to a gas stove I guess which is usually ventless. One other thing you could check is to make sure it was'nt set for LP. Mine came set for NG and I had to change a few components for LP.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Joe, dirty natural gas, real doubtful. Have the neighbors had similar issues with their pilot or thermal couples? Ask your gas supplier what they think is causing the ash deposits? No fan, and yet you can feel them move the air 20 feet away? Vintage Bob

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Bob, I'm gonna try readjusting the pilot light and go from there. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, had a few things come up.......like a kinda suprise job interview yesterday and a bunch of paperwork last night. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get to it.

LongGone

Nov 27, 2009
You should be able to have a direct flame to your logs without an issue for hours at a time. Mine are set up that way so that they "glow" when they are heated up. Gives it a more realistic look. Either way, lowering your pilot is probably a good way to check things out. If you don't get anymore soot/ particles then I'd definitely blame the logs.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Soot, definitely black. This is the part that concerns me, white ash. If its the logs, they should show the breaking down, and would be black, I would think? Something has to be burning/breaking down to leave white ash? Vintage Bob

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…