robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
About 2 months ago I was riding at a new track and decided to go for a triple I hadn't tried yet. I came up short and was thrown off the bike. I've had previous back trouble for which I have seen a chiro on and off for 10 years or so.

Anyway, nothing was broken, but I've had a problem with 2 ribs being displaced in my back. The chiro pops them back in but they keep giving me trouble. . .

I went back to the track yesterday. The track designer changed the section I crashed in from a very technical section with the triple to a less technical section with a gap jump onto or over a tabletop.

Aside from being out of shape and not riding as smoothly after the time off the bike, I could not bring myself to try the gap jump. I've jumped things about that big before, but just couldn't do it.

How do you guys overcome the initial fear after a relatively serious injury? If I was 16 I doubt it would be a problem, but I'm now 33 with a wife, child and job . . .

Thanks
Rob

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Well let me tell ya, i crashed yesterday pretty hard on a table top... My knee is all messed up and i can barley walk... Now when im able to ride again im going to be afraid to start jumping again as well... im 17 but, i just dont want to hurt my self again... Its not even a track where i hit it.. its on some private property and its not even suppose to be a table top but i guess it just turned into one.. i got into a rut from a 4 wheeler and took off sideways and came down hard :( and my buddy almost ran over my head.

But im sure if you just give it time ull try it again, just dont rush into things ^^

Raven1911

Nov 16, 2005
slowly

I have crashed in the past and my best advice to you is to start out slowly again and build up your confidence. I just crashed this weekend and hurt my wrist and bruised my hip pretty bad. I will be out for about a month probably. I too have a job, wife and child. Don't go out there full throttle and don't think you are a chicken for not doing so either. Just start slow and at a comfortable pace and build that confidence up. There is something to be said for a lack of confidence on the bike.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
my feeling is that your insticts are usually a good indicator for whether you should try something or not. You will know when the time is right to try certain jumps. There are days when I feel comfortable jumping big stuff and there are days when I am apprehensive about the same jumps. On those days I just practice other stuff like cornering fast or body position or whatever. I'm not saying that you should never take risks again but when you are afraid of a certain section your body tenses up and increases the odds of something going wrong. I gather you don't make your living riding so what's the point in rushing. Be patient.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
do whatever it takes to get your confidence back. Thtat will include understanding what you did wrong to get hurt. Ride as much as possible. I'm 38 and go thru the same thing a couple times a year. Right now both shoulders hurt, my rt. wrist is possibly fractured and my left hip is really messed up. All this from a jump on my track I've done 500x's. Just keep riding and pushing. I hate to say it, but triples are bad news at our ages.

Top Bottom