Question for Mountain Bikers & Others

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
This is way out there..... :coocoo:

Does anyone know how you could efficiently and regularly transport a bike on the back of a road/dual sport motorcycle?

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
Get someone to fab a rack for you. Greg Herbold had one on his bike in one of the movies he was in. GOOD mountain bikes aren't very heavy. I took my wheels off, strapped them to the frame, took some shoulder straps from an ALICE pack, and tied those to the frame. I just wore the bike like a back pack. I was only going about 45 minutes away, but it wasn't too bad. That was a Cannondale, hardtail XC racer. Doing that with an all mountain or downhilll rig would probably be painful :)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Actually, I have seen a local MC with a bike rack on the back. The guy apparently works near my dentist. I have an appointment next week so I will try to get a pic or two for you if the bike(s) is/are there.

Side note, the first time that I saw a motorcycle with a bicycle on the back of it, I laughed out loud. It just doesn't look right.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Like this one?

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 156

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
WoodsRider said:
Like this one?
No, but I like that one, I wonder how that bike handles with the load set so high. The one that I saw was more like a car trunk carrier, with the bicycle mounted sideways.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
FruDaddy said:
No, but I like that one, I wonder how that bike handles with the load set so high. The one that I saw was more like a car trunk carrier, with the bicycle mounted sideways.

According to the owner/rider (not me) it's a 23 lb. bike, so he doesn't even notice it's there. Although not totally visible in the pic, the rack is mounted to the subframe, not the trunk.

I'd imagine it's a little hairy in a crosswind, but big BMW's always have been. Not sure I'd want to mount one sideways. That would really screw up the aerodynamics. :ohmy:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Actually for the first time today, we saw one of those little gas powered scooters going down the sidewalk. It was carrying a bicycle on it. The guy laid the bike on the seat sideways and then sat on the bike to hold it down nice and tight to the seat of the scooter. It was pretty funny.

Top Bottom