Question for pro/semi-pro moto photographers

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I've been looking through a few magazines (Racer X, TWMX, etc, etc) as well as Squid's and Chili's photos on here and had a couple questions. I'm kind of what you'd consider a semi-pro photographer (I get paid for my work, but it's still a side career instead of my primary income). I started out shooting snowboarding and skiing but since my primary passion is racing dirtbikes, I'm starting to shoot bikes too. From a ski/snowboard/mountain bike perspective, 'guy in the sky' shots of people jumping, but showing nothing for reference are considered terrible and pretty much never get published. Yet I've noticed in motocross, these shots get published all the time. I've always been taught to include something for reference - usually the landing and/or takeoff to give a sense of scale of the jump. What's your guys' thoughts on this? I might have to rethink how I shoot since it seems like 'guy in the sky' shots make up the majority of the covers of the magazines.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I rarely shoot "guy in the sky" type of shots and If I do I try to keep a background for some sort of reference even if there is no ground reference.

Keep in mind cover shots are rarely trying to tell a story other than highlight who's the feature in the issue and you have limited space on the cover to make your impact.

"Guy in the sky shots" can be used for covers but I'll bet a bunch of them are shots that have simply been edited to that type of shot, those kind of shots are also useful for ad sales.

I have no idea how the skateboarding publications and other stuff you've been shooting pay but keep in mind all but a minute percentage of moto shooters have real jobs outside of moto photography.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I am far from a pro shooter but do work for our regional MX magazine so I'll add my 1 peso worth.
I agree with Chili on rarely do I shoot the guy in the sky. I like to have the perspective of background to show speed or skill of the riders. The editor also discourages tthe one rider in the sky shots because he is not featuring indivuals but rather events.
I have found as well that the better selling posters I make are corners or background blurs

I made enough last year to pay for gas to the races and to buy a cheap camera body

ladieu229

Sponsoring Member
Jun 17, 2007
I dont think u need to include the jump or lip in the photo of some one jumping u can tell how big or small the jump is by what the riders posture is.. im no pro photographer or anywhere need it but thats just my thoughts of it coming from being a rider and a photographer..here is a photo of my friend bryce hudson throwing a whip over a 90 foot table top and perris racway..

maxladieuphoto.jpg

texpic

Aug 5, 2009
I like guy in the sky shots for several reasons:

#1 no one like to shoot them so they are unique

#2 if you want to grab the image to do something with it (without the background) it takes 2 seconds

#3 generally I'm on rapid fire anyway, so I'm getting the before and after shots as a series

I'd post a link but they don't let me do it here. I have like MX 17,000 images online.

Top Bottom