Question for replacing sprockets and chain??

DaRooster

Oct 8, 2005
I'm getting ready to replace both sprockets and chain in the near future. My question: is it recommended to replace rear sprocket bolts as well? As far as that goes what bolt are recommended? The nylock style or others? If nylock, then do I still need a loctite adhesive to keep it tight?

I'm installing Renthal sprockets both front and rear (13/51) and DID ERT2 520 gold chain (non-ORing). Good combo, any reviews? Got a good price on everything on the 'bay. Rear sprocket is black and looks sweet up next to the bike. Can't wait to get everything put on. I still have I read/watched the video on Transworld mag with the Bridgestone engineer replacing tires. Very good video and info if anyone hasn't seen it. :cool:

Thanks,
Chad

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You shouldn't need to replace the bolts unless you see some damage on them. And yes, use blue locktite on the nuts even if they are nylock. Every time they are spun off and on the bolt they loose some locking capability.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I don't see a real need for loctite when nyloc nuts are used. The nuts are seldom removed on the rear sprocket. (Exception: If you spun them off at high speed, IE with pneumatics getting the nylon hot) you might want to...but use 'blue'loctite.

You made a good choice to replace the whole drive train. A lot of folks just replace the chain with a new one and install it on worn out sprockets. Ride on and have fun!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
If your bolts you have now are fine then keep em. I never delt with nylon before but whenever I change out my sprockets I use the red locktight. I had a few come loose before when using the blue so I'm a little paranoid about the blue locktight for the sprocket bolts, and i torqued them down good too.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
dezryder said:
I don't see a real need for loctite when nyloc nuts are used...
I use (blue) locktite on them only for cheap insurance. If you have ever had a sprocket loosen up you know what I mean. :ohmy:

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
I replace those bolts every season. Cheaper than a hub or an extended hospital stay.

Top Bottom