Mar 16, 2007
so I am 25 and just starting to seriously get into the sport, I would like to become as good as possible, going pro, highly unlikely but good enough to get first place in the local novice class is not out of the question if I practice alot. I live close to a track and have the opportunity to ride about 4 days a week. But theres this thing I have in the back of my head going oh crap, what if I get injured, than I wont be able to work, than I cant pay bills etc etc. I know theres alot of guys that probably have the same worries, how do you guys deal with it? Theres no way in hell im giving up the sport.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
1...Make sure you have at least 3 months income saved up to cover for injury down time.
2...Don't get married. Her barking in your ear/nagging at you for those injury-days at home isn't relieved by even the strongest painkillers.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
HubertGarfunkleIII said:
how do you guys deal with it?

We get older, we get injured, and then we slow down. A wife, kids, house, and car payment gives you a different perspective on things.

There is an old "saying" regarding pilots......."there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots"?

Same applies to dirt bikes.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Have you heard of the vet nationals? The ama and nma have vet classes, +25 and many, many more! Pro, like racing RV, very doubtful. Beat c, b and a, do able!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Do you have health and short term disability insurance? If the answer is no then you need to look in to getting some if yes then proceed to the next level. It's not just responsibility for your family but yourself as well. Then you have to think about the payout vs. paycheck, not many people will make it to the top, honestly your too old so look at becoming a good local rider. We've got several most are your age or a bit younger but a few are my age or older and they can show the young guns up as much as they can't. The bottom line is all these guys go to work on Monday, some of us just limp a bit :)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Short term and long term disability is a must.

I got started again when I was 29. I was really slow and had to re-learn everything! I was also incredibly out of shape. I'm in much better shape now than I was and my doc even told me that the health benefit I have gotten over the past 8 years has far outweighed the injuries I have had (I have been lucky thus far).

You can get as good as you commit yourself to getting. But if you have other responsibilities (i.e. demanding job, wife, family, etc.) you may not get as good as quick as you'd like.

I'm a mid-pack Vet C rider and it seems I'll never get better but I don't have the time to ride except a couple times a month. I really enjoy it though and have a blast almost every time I'm out there.

Go for it and have fun!

Ivan

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
another thing you gotta realize, when you go Vet racing, most of those guys have been racing their whole lives and they are still fast.

Work hard, practice lots, and cover your backside in case of any unfortunate incidents.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XRpredator said:
another thing you gotta realize, when you go Vet racing, most of those guys have been racing their whole lives and they are still fast.
Yup like freakin' Wardy! Even AJ & Billy sort of fall in that bracket so there are some SCARY FAST "old" guys.

ecy063

Sep 15, 2005
Take some riding lessons from an instructor with a good reputation and really pay attention to things like warm-up and body position. And what ever you do don't say to someone "Hey you hold my beer and watch this".

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
all great advice above. My doctors says when you get old you will either need a cardiologist or a orthopedist depending on how hard you play or not.
If you have the above financial responsibilities covered then dealing with your fear will be a valuable life lesson

I'm 45 and yes everything hurts all the time. Go team Advil!!!!!!!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Isobareng said:
all great advice above. My doctors says when you get old you will either need a cardiologist or a orthopedist depending on how hard you play or not.
If you have the above financial responsibilities covered then dealing with your fear will be a valuable life lesson

I'm 45 and yes everything hurts all the time. Go team Advil!!!!!!!!
I second that!

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I've got over 140 sick days piled up at work. I could afford a major crash injury, but I still ride slow. Carley Simon said it best "I hav'nt got time for the pain".

Mar 16, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Have you heard of the vet nationals? The ama and nma have vet classes, +25 and many, many more! Pro, like racing RV, very doubtful. Beat c, b and a, do able!

Do you think if you were dominating the vet class it would be possible to pick up some sponsors or a factory ride?

May 10, 2007
no sponsers are looking for young people who are gonna get better not old people who are going to get slower (and i mean that thats just how things work. im sure half the old guys here can whoop me.)

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Sorry, there are no "older guys" on this forum!

(You should know by now, you can't ride motorcycles if you're old; so you HAVE to stay young!) :ride:

Top Bottom