Question for those who broke collar bone???

Jul 4, 2006
I didn't read all the pages but most that I read where you broke the collarbone, what do you think caused it? Helmet contact or direct contact with ground or what else?

Just trying to protect my 9 year old best I can, he's been wearing the EVS RC3 neck roll for quite sometime now. I'm just wondering how helpful the neck collars are with this type of injury. And yes his Leatt is already ordered, the kid where's everything including knee braces. I've already told my wife the ER visit is coming but I'm doing my best to hold it off.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There is plenty of bone experts around! That stupid clavicle only takes a few pounds of pressure to break it, mine ,when I fell on my shoulder, 5 pieces, never accept donor bone, use your own,and ask for the big plate if you have to have surgery! Clavicle safety compromises riding ability, who could ride in a knight suit? The collarbone pad helps the helmet from cracking them and helps the neck to some degree. I can't say who for reasons of being accused a spammer but there is a company that makes a serious neck restraint system.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
I can't say who for reasons of being accused a spammer but there is a company that makes a serious neck restraint system.
He already said the LEATT word :nod:

When I broke mine I think it was the helmet that did the damage. The break was directly where the helmet would have been pushed when I landed on my head. Clean break but never healed (probably didn't help ging whitewater rafting in the Royal Gorge the next week). It still floats around loose but rarely causes a problem.
My son broke his almost identical and again I swear the helmet sheared it. At least his healed but with the bump

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
My helmet popped mine into 4 pieces, sure as h#ll! Probably because a CR250 was on top of it.

I got nerve damage and a dandy knot of bone that will be hard to ignore when I put on a heavy pack this Summer/Fall.

I have picked up a new CP and a 661 neck roll that I rode with last weekend. I figured that it would aggravate me but I never knew it was there.

Would I get a LEATT? In a heartbeat! But they ain't free yet, so I'll risk it till the jury is out on them and they don't cost a house payment :whoa:

Kawiguy1994

Jan 14, 2007
Has anyone really put these Leatt braces to the test ?? I wonder if they work ?? I'm in construction and if i get hurt I'm out of work, so something like this is very appealing !! :)

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
SteveinSpringHill said:
I didn't read all the pages but most that I read where you broke the collarbone, what do you think caused it? Helmet contact or direct contact with ground or what else?

Just trying to protect my 9 year old best I can, he's been wearing the EVS RC3 neck roll for quite sometime now. I'm just wondering how helpful the neck collars are with this type of injury. And yes his Leatt is already ordered, the kid where's everything including knee braces. I've already told my wife the ER visit is coming but I'm doing my best to hold it off.

I would not put knee braces on my child unless there was a pre existing injury that needed to be protected. Braces generally transfer twisting motion and impacts to the upper and lower leg bones in order to protect the knee joint. Just my two cents.

Jul 4, 2006
From my limited knowledge bones break and heal torn or damaged ligaments and tendons are a more serious matter. And can affect lifelong mobility and strength.

And by the way I thought I might get more input on this. It sure seems a lot like to brag about injuries but don't want to discuss "cause and prevention". :(

Later....

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i'm to the point that i just say, "thank god, it's only a broken collarbone."

and then i smile about it.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
I boke my collarbone by landing on my shoulder. I always hear people talking about the long term problems when braking bones, I've broke my ribs several times my sternum once all my fingers and several bones in both hands. And 20 yrs later I still heve no broblems with any joints tendons or anything. Not yet anyway.

Joe Kovarik

Feb 27, 2007
Iam 43 and broke my collar bone ,I thank it was from the ground.It is taking a long time to heal. This year Iam going to buy one of those collar bone and neck pads.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Last year I could barely walk after running with the kids while coaching soccer. I finally went to the doc and they did x-rays. He said that I had bones fragments and spurs from previous breaks/injuries and some arthritis setting in.

Once healed, my collar bone, ribs, hands, and leg haven't bothered me again. My neck still does give me trouble, though.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Gomer I had a lot of neck pain and finally went to a Quakopractor,he showed me the xray of a spur in my neck, the time I hit a tree head first,old compression fracture did not show till later,he popped it off and I felt Like a million bucks,till it started growing back! I suppose if I could find a doc to laser the area it would stop this,no way! The wife lost feeling,mobility in her right arm,neck surgery cage donor bone and fusion to stop compression on a nerve and presto,it worked but man is it messed up!

losdobles

Nov 22, 2006
After 30 years of riding and numerous injuries I have discovered a truism. If you want to heal fast from a bike related injury get back on the bike as soon as possible.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
losdobles said:
After 30 years of riding and numerous injuries I have discovered a truism. If you want to heal fast from a bike related injury get back on the bike as soon as possible.
I can't agree with that one. Getting back on before something is healed can reinjure it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
SteveinSpringHill said:

I'm just wondering how helpful the neck collars are with this type of injury. And yes his Leatt is already ordered, the kid where's everything including knee braces. QUOTE]

Steve.

I've done mine twice. Both times the helmet caused it. Well, actually I caused it by crashing but, it was the helmet hitting the bone that broke it. I wear a neck collar now and it has helped from doing it a third time.

Good call on the safety equipment for your son. Especially the Leatt neck brace. Most of the injurys in this sport are recoverable. Broken bones heal, ligaments can be fixed, spinal injurys are another story. I'm glad to see more of the Pro's using the neck brace. This will get other riders to use it since they look up to the Pro's. :cool:

Wearing the proper safety equipment will keep him riding for a long time to come.

losdobles

Nov 22, 2006
High Lord Gomer said:
I can't agree with that one. Getting back on before something is healed can reinjure it.

What I meant was that riding a bike will heal you faster. If we all waited to be completely healed we would never ride again. At least I wouldnt. How do you heal a dislocated and broken tail bone as well as spinal fractures completely?

Jul 4, 2006
Well my son's been riding with the Leatt now for a couple of weeks and already saved him from a bad "bobble head" moment. His racing buddy got to see the real affect of having one on (thank god). Poor kid got spit off over the bars by hitting a downed bike on the downside of a 35' table. The kid broke both arms and pretty much shattered his Shoei on the front side.

First words from my son after the paramedics brought him off "I'll bet your glad you had the Leatt on!!" My son was front wheel to his buddies rear wheel over that jump and saw it all.

Whether it be confidence with it on or not my boy has really picked up the speed now. And I'm much more comfortable watching him hit the bigger jumps now.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0O8Z0003000173&po=173&c= http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0O8Z0001000151&po=151&c=

Last edited:

killerkx

Mar 12, 2007
ive broken my collar bone 2 times.... neither were from riding, first time was from hockey, and the second from falling off my college dorm balcony.... the first time really wasnt my fault... second time deffinetly my fault

cconner2l

Jun 3, 2007
I was riding my klx110 at my friends house and i went over the bars on this little double. I was wearing the leatt brace and i still broke my collarbone. I have to get a plate and screws put in next week. So far im not satisfied with the leatt brace. But, my neck doesnt hurt so I dont know what would have happened if i wasnt wearing it.

Top Bottom