know_fear

May 19, 2000
I know some of you have done this mod with excellent results. I have a 2000 KDX 220, what vintage of KX triple clamps and forks would be the best to start with? I'd like to re-use my caliper if possible. Thanks.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I just did the KX fork conversion. It is an awesome set up. I have a 1996 KDX 200. I found a complete 2000 KX 125 front end on ebay for $400. Took a little more $$ for new fork seals, and to get the KDX stem pressed out of the KDX clamp and in the KX clamp. Other than that I did all the other mods to make it work myself, and I am very pleased.

Not sure what years of the KX use the same caliper as the KDX. You could go to www.buykawasaki.com and check the parts diagram and numbers to see which years use the same caliper. that might also give you a good start as to what year KX forks you would want to start looking for.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
Thanks Midhigh, did you use the KDX caliper or did the KX setup come with one. Also how did the KX 125 springs feel to you? I'm trying to set my bike up for woods riding but wonder if the MX rate springs will be to stiff.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I hear Fredette is or has converted to Ohlins system, interested to see what he thinks of that...of course that had to cost him...

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
As you know Ohins are expensive. My conversion uses the kdx caliper, brake line and master. I have a 96 kx front end. I think 95 and up for using the kdx caliper. But microfische does not lie.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
My KX forks came with the caliper and everything. So I stuck with the KX caliper and didn't even try the KDX caliper. As for the springs in the KX forks. I am 170lbs. and ride both MX and woods. Spent Saturday all day in the woods and forks where a dream. Spent all day Sunday at Cooperland MX track and loved that too.

The stability and handling over ruff ground is awesome. I do, however, run a steering damper, so that does help. But in comparison to the traditional KDX forks. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by tedkxkdx
As you know Ohins are expensive. My conversion uses the kdx caliper, brake line and master. I have a 96 kx front end. I think 95 and up for using the kdx caliper. But microfische does not lie.

Not really. They have been closing out the 96-97 stock for a while. I got a shock for $135 to the door from them. The forks are going for around $700 dealer cost right now. So add some aftermarket clamps and the rest of the KX front parts and you are set!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Some of the 'swappable' parts have isolated handlebar pedestals (rubber bushed). The kx125 doesn't (I think).

You might keep that in mind.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Originally posted by canyncarvr
Some of the 'swappable' parts have isolated handlebar pedestals (rubber bushed). The kx125 doesn't (I think).

You might keep that in mind.

That is correct. The 250s get rubber isolated clamps. the 125s dont.

But if you are piecing it together, I would assume that if you picked up some Ohlins that you would go aftermarket on the clamps and then you can go either way.

Top Bottom