Question on CR routing conversion for YZ

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Question on CR brake line routing conversion for YZ

Hey Guys- I wonder if anyone who has done a CR style brake line conversion on their YZ could weigh in on this one (or any of you gear headz who have some solid input)...

I've been wanting to do this conversion for a while; ever since I rode my buddy's bike w/ it; great added feel and power.

So, I bought the Galfer line and installed it. Galfer recomends 12 - 15ft/lbs of torque. The manual recomends 19ft/lbs of torque. The Galfer kit comes w/ aluminum washers so I torqued the banjo bolt to 15ft/lbs figuring the aluminum washers would be more fragile. When I began back bleeding I saw the fluid leaking out. Looked like it was coming from between the washer and the fitting on the line. I gave it a little more torque but it had no effect. The fluid still leaked out. I didn't want to torque it more and risk breaking the bolt or damaging the caliper. After disassembly I saw that one of the washers seem malformed or just didn't crush evenly.

Has anyone else come across this w/ the Galfer line? Secondly, I now need new washers to try again, but if I go down to the shop to get some, I'll get stock washers which are copper. Anyone see an issue w/ that? My thought is I can buy stock washers and torque to manual specified 19ft/lbs. .. and hopefully stop the leak and go riding!!

What do you guys think?? TIA for any input.

Last edited:

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
No one???

UPDATE: I bought new stock washers and decided to use the stock banjo bolts then torque to Yamaha spec (19ft/lbs). Still leaks. I looked closely at the mating surface on the caliper and it is not galled. I am at a loss on this.

Has anyone experienced this before?? Or have any ideas? I can't believe just changing a freakin brake line would be such a problem...

Top Bottom