m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i went to a local dealer with my boss. i bought his bike now, he is regretting selling his bike and wants another. he was looking at the ktm exc450w or something like that. its the on/offroad bike. it has all the lights and directionals. they want 8500.00 for the bike. the guy told us that was the last one he was going to be able to get for the rest of the year because the euro is worth more than the dollar. and ktm isnt making as much money buy the time the ship and sell them. does this true? he was pretty honest about the whole deal. he didnt just talk about how great the bike was. he told us about all of its flaws and what nots. so true, false? thanks for the info.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I guess it sort of depends what you boss wants in a bike. I'd be inclined to look in to a 300xc-w(e) instead of a 450exc-w if they are overly proud of the 450.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
MT local shop has them advertised for $6900, might be able to wiggle a bit off of that even. I think I'd call their bluff of by a plane ticket to Austin.

fatcat216

"Don't Worry Sister"
~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2007
I'm not disagreeing with looking for the best deal by going elsewhere- ultimately that's the thing to do. However, I can say that when I bought a custom made racing bicycle, I decked it out with all Italian parts- and some nice upgrades- because at that point in time the exchange rate made it very affordable for me.

Likewise, professionally, I deal with imports from China. (Patman, I realize you could explain this better than me, however since you passed on it, I'm jumping in.) Factories which build our products are closing daily- with zero notice. In some cases the workers have shown up to the closed sign on the door. These are for product lines that we recently moved from one factory to another, ie. new contracts, "plenty of business", can't stay afloat. As the dollar loses ground and the yuan (which is greatly undervalued as it is) gains in value the factories are losing money. We see price increases weekly. Even with the renegotiated price factories are closing. These are well established manufacturers going under.

You are absolutely not getting a line of bull on how fluctuations in euro to dollar; yuan to dollar etc. are having very real effects in the global economy. Add to that runaway cost increases to shipping and those imports get more and more expensive. It is absolutely possible they can't import one for the same price as they did last year. Which isn't to say he isn't charging you too much. It just doesn't mean he's lying either.

I've now told you more than I know. Lol. Not even good for a nickel's worth of advice.

Last edited:

Top Bottom