Question-Who has insurance on their bike?

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
This may seem a little off topic, but I am interested to know who all has insurance on their dirtbikes. I have run across a lot of people with different opinions on this. I am an insurance agent for one of the "big name" companies. My agency can also write Progressive Insurance, which seems to be, by far, the best and cheapest insurance out there for dirtbikes. My 2000 KDX only costs $92/year to insure and that is with $100 deductibles, and the highest liability coverages you can get. I am considering marketing to the local riders, not because I make any money off it (commission on $92 is not much), but because it really is important to insure your dirtbike. So my original question, who has their bike insured and for what reasons? Thanks!

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I have my bike insured, I think it is only 10 or 12 bucks a month for full coverage. I didn't think such a thing was possible but if you can finance it you can insure it apparently. They did ask me if I wanted road side assistance on it though. That was when I asked them if they knew it was a "dirt bike". Yeah go ahead give me that. I am out of gas just over the creek, past the big rock right next to the tree that splits 50 feet up the middle. Oh yeah, I need a gallon of 93 octane mixed with bell ray MC-1 40:1. Thanks a bunch. Now when can you be here?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I insure my KTM as it is licensed - bare minimum coverage needed to be legal. My son's KDX is not insured - but if i were to license it would do same. I priced Progressive - came in WAY more than Bikeline.com pricing. (I think i got it for around $50 every 6 months)

Did not price any collision or comprehensive/theft type coverage though. Guess I am taking my chances there!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Progressive-$75 for the year.
2005 KDX220R, Insured and registered as a MC not ATV in NY
In NY it is required unless said machine is used for agricultural purposes. The price I paid is the min. required by law. and if you mention racing, FOR GETTA ABOUT IT :rotfl:

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I have insurance through progressive. If your house burns down the home owners policy doesn't cover the bike so I thought it was worth the 100 bucks a year. Another benefit is the theft coverage.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Yeah, I agree that roadside assistance is pretty crazy on a dirtbike policy! They should at lease call it trailside assistance!

That is a common misconception that your homeowners policy will cover your motorcycle. The only time that would be the case is if you used the motorcycle (or ATV) EXCLUSIVELY for use on the property you own, such as farming, hauling, etc. If you ever take the motorcycle off your land and ride it, it would be excluded from coverage on your homeowners policy.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
My brother and I have all our bikes (6) insured. Mainly for theft purposes. We learned the hard way when we had 3 stolen and then found out how cheap insurance was. Talk about a sick feeling...on top of a sick feeling.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
One of the main reason that i have my dirt bike insured is that it is practically free due to the way that it brings down the cost of insuring my road bike due to multiple coverage. I think it works out to about $34/year to have the dirt bike covered.

Top Bottom