a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
No photo to post but I have a few questions for Okie and such. By the way Okie, all of your photos are great!

1. Do you use any type of filters and if so, which ones?
2. What shutter speed do you normally shoot at, assuming it's outside daylight action type shot?
3. What ISO speed do you use outside, same conditions?
4. Do you PS all your shots before processing?
5. Where normally do you get your processing done?

Thanks, and remember I have the same camera and my shots are not nearly as nice! :|

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
1) Nope.
2) As low as conditions will allow. 100 on sunny days, 400+ on overcast.
3) I like to shoot moto at slower speeds to get some wheel spin, 500 - 800 depending on how fast they are going. But a lot of times, I just go av mode at about f/4.5 - f/5.6 and live with whatever the shutter speed is.
4) I actually don't process many at all. Ones that I have (posters) I run thru several steps in PS and assign the printer's profile to the image before sending it off. I've used www.mpix.com and www.shutterfly.com, both are very good. I do tell them not to do any processing/color correcting or cropping (I supply the images cropped to the correct size).
5. See above.

Chili is a much better moto-shooter than I, hopefully he'll chime in.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks Bob, I appreciate the info. I usually go Tv mode and let the f stops work right for the light meter. Maybe I should try your way.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
1) I always have a UV or UV haze filter on my lenses. Rather replace a filter than a lens. Non moto shooting the filter comes off.
2) I switch back and forth between full manual and av mode so the shutter speed will vary depending on my mode, I try to keep it 400+ unless going for a pan with blur look then it's much slower. If there is nothing tricky about the metering i'll shoot av mode and set the aperature based on how I want the background to look for depth of field. If it's a tricky day that is fooling the meter into under exposing I'll go full manual based on what I'm seeing in the histogram. Usually this becomes an issue when shooting upwards towards the sky like say from the bottom of a hill to the guy jumping downhill, the camera see's all that bright sky and underexposes the rider. Changing your metering mode to center weighted helps some but usually the shot will still be underexposed.
3) Lowest ISO I can use and still keep the shutter speeds I want.
4) Any shot printed get's processed with the printer profile assigned, the lab knows not to color correct my images.
5) Most of my day to day customer orders are done at Costco. One of our local photography schools did a test of all the labs in our city and one Costco location (near me) finished in the top 4. Given their pricing and the fact that quality has never been an issue they continue to get my business. For certain custom sizes and special requests I'll use a much more expensive pro-lab.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks Chilster. I see a UV filter in my future.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
photojojo said:
I've broken three UV filters on my 70-200 2.8 and never the glass on the lens. well worth the $40 or so they cost.

I've broken a few in my time as well Chris.

Welcome to the site, Sir ... :cool:

Top Bottom