Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i have a few questions on these two bikes. i am currently rideing a 02 yz 250f, its been a good bike, i like the smooth power and its pretty much what i learned to ride on but it just feels heavy to me. i ride woods about 60% of the time and light motocross about 40% of the time and im thinking about switching to a 2 stroke. i was actually going to buy a 200mxc before i bought my 250f, they were both at the same dealer, i couldnt decide on which one to get but my friend who was with me said the 4 stroke would be easier to learn on so that is what i bought. now im starting to wonder if the 200mxc or 200mx would be good for me now. i would like something light weight, have good low end torque and smooth power. what is the power like on these two bikes? is the power harsh? i dont want somthing i cant control that is why i would like to have smooth power, i guess i could use a flyweel weight if i had to. i read somewhere that the 380exc has smooth power but that would probably be to big for me. what is the difference between the 200sx and 200mxc anyway?

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I once had a 250F and I now ride a 200exc and had a yz250 two stroke in between. If you find the 250F lacks a little bit of snap, you'll be happy with the switch. I have not ridden the 200mxc, but the exc has a lot of bottom end power and has a much better transmission for the woods. I have ridden my 200exc on the moto track and it works ok. No real problem doubling it around our local supercross track, but I'd say the exc is a little undersprung for that work. It is an interesting motor, lots of bottom, no real big mid range hit, and it literally revs like a 125 (or 250F). I like the 200 better than the 250f and better than our two stroke 125. It has more power than both. As for the two stroke yz250, it was great for moto, but just wears a guy out in the woods.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding. the thing i am concerned with is the transition between 4 stroke to 2 stroke power. im so used to the four strokes power being smooth, i really dont know what to expect if i switch to a 2 stroke, i mean i never rode any of my previous 2 strokes like i have rode my 250f, if that makes sense, i never had them in tight woods or on a mx track, i just rode around in big open areas, nothing technical that required any skill. the main reason i am concidering getting rid of the 250f is because it feel so heavy to me and just doesnt handle the way i would like, it has a top heavy feel. a lot of people seem to thing im crazy and say they dont think the 250f feels heavy or has any handling issues but for me there is and i cant seem to get used to it. i really cant afford a brand new bike, i still have a few payments left on the 250f still, i should have it payed off by spring, i was thinking about selling it to get the money for another used bike then. another thing i was thinking about doing is looking into one of the new honda or kawasaki/suzuki 250 4 strokes, i hear they are pretty light and feel like 125's, but i would have to take out another loan to help pay for it and i really wouldnt like to do that. anyway if anyone has any info on any of the ktm 200's it would be great.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Lonewolf:

I started out a LONG time ago on a Penton 125 and after being out of the sport for about 10 years purchased a 2002 400MXC. I love the bike, but it is indead heavy in tight woods. I buddy of mine has a YZ250F, and although it revs like a two stroke it is also heavy in the woods. For me, it really boiled down to being more familiar with the responsiviness of a 2 stroke, so this spring I picked up a 200MXC. As soon as I rode the bike, I new it was the correct decision for me. It is very nimble in the woods (reminds me of my Penton), has a good amount of low end grunt, and will fly fast enough for me in open areas. Wheelies are not a problem and I am likely going to smooth out the power a bit more by installing a flywheel weight. I don't particulary like lifting the front end on tight trails without warning, and the hit is strong enough to do so. That being said, I can't say enough good about the 200MXC. I didn't consider the EXC version, but have heard that they have slightly lower internal gearing. If you purchase one, run a search for must do mods for the 200. I started one last March and it is full of good ideas.

Tony

Here is the thread I was talking about ...
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75203

Last edited:

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thanks for responding tony, the only thing i am concerned with is the snap you mentioned, and the front end coming up unexpectedly. i have this fear of looping out really bad, it happened once while riding a 250 2 stroke a few years back, i got messed up when it happened, but that was years ago and i should have known better than to ride that bike. ktm isnt making the 200mxc anymore are they? i only saw the exc listed for 2004 models, i really dont want the headlight or the rest of the accesories the exc come with. do you happen to know what the 200 mxc weighs?

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Most people around here buy the exc for off-road racing and just take the odo, headlight, and tail light off. That way you get a better tranny for woods riding. That's pretty much what I did.

If you plan to do mostly MX, get the 200SX.

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
I think both bikles would work just fine for either application.
My son has an '02 200EXC and my freind has an '03 200SX. I've ridden both at the track and on the trails and either one works pretty good.
I actually thought the SX would make a better trail bike if you didn't mind a MUCH lower top speed. The spread of power in each gear was much broader. The closer spacing in the EXC 6-speed tranny wasn't a plus in my mind.
One thing to know is that you can lug these down much lower that you'd think and they'll pull you just fine.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
The 200 M/XC became kind of redundant with the SX. It was an E/XC with the close ratio tranny for MX but still the same engine and suspension. The SX is a better track bike since it's purpose designed for that (ported for top end, bigger carb, stiffer suspension, 19" rear wheel, no spark arrestor, etc.). It's truly got a power/weight ratio of a 250, just packaged in a 125 chassis.

The E/XC actually has a wide ratio tranny (just as the WRF Yamaha's do compared to YZFs). This means you get a lower first gear for really technical stuff but a wider spread between and a higher top gear. It's a much more flexible gearbox for woods work.

You can make either one work but it will probably cost more to tame the SX for the woods than to make the E/XC work on the track. You need to determine how much of your time will be spent on woods vs. track and how aggressive a bike you want. From the sounds of your concerns about a pure MX bike being too scary, I'd get the E/XC and have fun.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Lonewolf
... do you happen to know what the 200 mxc weighs?

Not offhand, but give me to the weekend and I will weigh the darn thing. I have been curious myself.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Tony Eeds
Not offhand, but give me to the weekend and I will weigh the darn thing. I have been curious myself.

Well .... It took me to Friday to weigh it and it weighs in a 220 lbs with about a gallon of fuel on board.

Regarding the looping out, I managed a good bit of riding over the weekend at MacKinzie and was very surprised to find that the bike has tons of torque. I misread the engine speed more than a few times and found myself hillclimbing up some really knarly hills in 4th. It did fine with a bit of throttle control and clutch fanning (very little). The grunt is unbelievable. This torque easily allows you to lift the bike in 3rd or 4th gear, and correspondingly break the rear end loose in 2nd. With stock gearing (sorry I haven't checked what it is) 1st gear is pretty much unuseable except for putting around, which the 200 MXC will do VERY WELL. I think most of my former observations about the wheelie capability had to do with not understanding the power band. Although there is clearly a hit, it is not that unpredictable and you can roll into it without having it come on like a light switch.

Last edited:

gabriel

Oct 30, 2003
the 200 is the best bike for a guy like you. It is snappy but looping out didnt seem likely on it for me.It felt powerwise similiar to the yzf but is a lot more maneuverable. the exc has real tall 456 gear not motocross material for me. the mxc has power for a light. the sx has best sus. I would go with sx

Top Bottom