Questions about knee pads and elbow pads???

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Can anybody recommend a durable, good fitting set of knee pads and elbow pads that STAY IN PLACE. The knee pads should also be impact resistant. I am curious about these knee/shin guard things that Thor and others make....doesn't that make getting your boot on and comfortable pretty tough??

The elbow pads are MAINLY for protection against abrasion but some impact resistance is good. Protection that extended to the forearms would be a plus and minimal bulk is preferred.

I am using Moose M1 knee pads now (somewhat junky in my opinion) and thor elbowsavers (always falling down around my wrists over jumps).

Thanks

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I have the Thor knee pads and I would rate them an 8 out of 10. They are comfortable, they don't slip and fit well with my boots (tec6's). Great protection from abrasions but not the best for a hard impact.

I have, but don't wear, the Fox elbow guards. Great protection from both impacts and abrasions. However I find the fixed elastic straps to be far to tight and very restrictive (It could just be my massive guns). I have heard of other that have had the same issue and they just cut the elastic and used the velcro straps.

Good luck.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
RE:, the hockey pads. I'm currently using a pair of WINNwell elbow pads. Great protection, but they still slide down to my wrist, no matter how tight I crank the velcro. In hockey your arms are usually bent, which keeps the pads in place.

I've been considering the Thor Elbow Guards - RockyMountain has them for $25. thumbs - do they stay in place for you? I don't have the problem with massive guns :) .

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
"Roach" elbow pads are awsome. I picked up mine in a mntn. bike store. They are a sleeve type that covers the entire fore-arm and elbow. They cannot slip down and cause zero resriction. :thumb:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i dont like my thor knee pads.....ive seen some pads by six-six-one that look cool, they have a strap that goes above the knee also i think this will help me since my thor's move all over the place

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
After Big Tuna recommended the Roach arm pads a while back, I picked up a set and they are very nice. Seem to offer great protection. I haven't been able to ride with them yet but they seem like they will work really well, they are very light. I got them at an online bike shop for $30.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I just switched from the Thor elbow guards to the Fox Comp elbow guards and like the Fox much better. I also got tired of cracking the plastic on the thor/moose kneeguards so I got the AXO pivot style kneeguards and LOVE them.

Murf

Dec 31, 2000
I have HRP knee pads and am very happy with them. Very comfortable, and protective. I have the cheaper of the two they make.

Also have Fox elbow pads, and they are constantly sliding down. They seem to have decent protection if you can keep them on your elbows but, so far I have not been able to accomplish that.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Based on some of the recommendations here, I recently purchased a set of Roach elbow pads. I wore them for 2 days (90 miles) in tight woods and lots of rock. Wore them for about 6 hours straight each day.

Here is my opinion on them:

- They stay put fine, and don't move down the arm at all.

- They cover the entire top of your elbow and down the forearm to just above the wrist. It was cool where I was riding (55 degrees), and they didn't feel warm. Since there is so much fabric that does cover your arm, I would think that these would be really hot and uncomfortable on hot days.

- The actual padding is very weak for dirt bike riding. The tip of the elbow does not have any padding whatsoever. There are thin plastic strips that run the length of the pad along the bottom of the forearm and the lower tricep area. The plastic strips are about 1.5" wide. These pads may be fine for bouncing off trees while on a mountain bike, but I sure wouldn't want to take a hard fall on hard pack, a rock, or a tree at speed.

- Taking my elbow with the pads on and banging it against cement a few times, it started to hurt. The thin padding did little to lessen the impact, and I could feel the cement hitting my elbow bone, as this area was only covered by thin material.

I am returning the pads and am going to try the Fox pads. They look much beefier and able to disapate impact and blunt force much better.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
Smit-Dog, I've worn my Roach elbow pads all season from 0-38*C and never were they uncomforatablly hot. They have done their job for me more than once, even on hard packed. Granted they are not "heavily" padded, but IMO they offer enough padding without being overly bulky, and more importantly staying in the right place :| which I have found to be the biggest problem with other guards. An elbow cup on the Roach pads would be a huge bonus, and maybe an idea worth e-mailing them with. I really like the fore-arm protection offerd by the Roach pads; I don't know if it's just me, but when I go down my fore-arms "always" take the brunt of the impact.
Good Luck with the Fox's, and give us a review once you've tested'm out.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I have solved my elbow pad problem by using cable ties to attach my Thor elbow pads to the Bicep protector on My Thor chest protector. WORKS GREAT.

I have seen these six-by-six or whatever knee pads and I agree that the strap above the knee seems to be ideal. The Moose work okay but seem to be rather flimsy and they are falling apart.

derekb_55

Feb 8, 2001
Thor knee pads suck, they move around like crazy. Fox knee pads are good. I hate elbow pads cause they wont stay put unless you tighten the snot out of them and then it cuts off the circulation and it gives you arm pump.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I've been using the Thor Elbow Savers for a while now. Not too bad of a pad. Don't have the problem of them sliding down. Must be the guns. I use the cheap Fox knee/shin guards. I would give them a 9 out of 10 on fit. The shin portion could be smaller for moto.

What are these guys thinking, most all motocross boots have a shin plate. There is no need for the shin guard, it just gets in the way. Some of the Six-Six-One gear does look good but same problem for the knee/shin guards.

I tried a pair of the HRP knee pads. The units were well built and looked good. The problem comes from the strap above the knee. This was a poor design. They kept sliding down, so I ended up sending them back. They need to do some better R&D, IMO.

:silly: :silly: :eek:

Top Bottom