Questions about ktm 360, 380, 440 xc's

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Hey guys. About how much do the exc/mxc 360/380/440's weigh? I saw a guy that was real big (250lbs+) riding a 360exc yesterday and the bike pulled him like he was nothing, so they must have a lot of power. I know these bikes were from different years between about '95 and 2000 roughly, but they seem to be selling used for good prices and I am thinking of getting one. So what do you guys think about these bikes?? I tend to like a light bike so far...
B.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i found a good place to find info on older bikes of any make or model. its called www.bikez.com. it has alot of popups but it has pictures and lots of info. hope this helps. i hear that the late ktm 380 are insane fast. they will blow a kx500 away. i had a ktm 350 two stroker and that thing was faster than my new ktm 450, but it weighed a ton and does not handle as well as the new bikes. if i were you i would get at least a 2003 or newer ktm because the suspensions are way better.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Thanx, but the site kept locking my computer up. What I'd like is for owners, or previous owners, of these bikes to step forward and give me their opinions. While we're at it, I'm also interested in 2002 and earlier 250 and 300 mxc and exc. Are they heavy, light, handle good, bad? Do you think they are heavier or lighter than a Kawi KLX300r?? Fast or radical fast? Maintenance, tuning easy or hard? There's always a few of these for sale for good prices, though they are kind of beaters, but I'm looking for a powerful beater that roosts!!! :aj: And I want it to be a two stroke. Blast away guys........
B.

91kx

Mar 6, 2004
How can a bike with 5-6 less hp "blow away a kx500"? Yes I've got one?LOL
Actually I rode a 95 440exc and found it had quite a bit of power but really smooth.Too smooth for me.I'd like to try the 550.

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
Gotta agree about the KX stompin' a 380. Having tried to tame the 500 for the woods it craves the wide open. Things happen QUICK when you twist it.
I had a 96 360. felt heavier than my 300's but not a lot. It will feel bigger than a KLX but lighter.
The 380 starts easier than the 360, less jetting problems. The 97 360 is the better of the two 360's, suspension, jetting and power.
I could ride my 360 in tight woods with a careful throttle. It rips when you twist it but a CR500 or KX are faster in the open stuff.

binthedirtnow

Mar 29, 2005
Still Lookin at 'em...KTM 300, 360, 380, 440 2 strokes

Thanx KTM Pete. Your advise is welcomed. After a break (modding the klx300), I am re-visiting the older ktm subject. Still see them for sale for good prices. One of these $1600 360 or 380's seems like it might be a good mountain-fireroad-hillclimb-roost brute :aj: that I don't have to worry too much about. Do you feel this is true?? Or will I have headaches?? Of course I will give it maintenance - I enjoy working on my bikes!! :ride:
B.

KTM Pete

Sep 26, 1999
Either one is a hoot on the fast open stuff!
Wish we had more of that around here. :ahhh:
The SEM ignitions went once in a while- don't know if the 380 had the Kokusan ignition- definitely makes them harder to start if they are failing.
A 96 with the right mods- FMF pipe, reed spacer, and a decompression hole drilled into the piston ran much better- make sure they start OK when hot.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
I ride a 97 360 in mostly singletrack and I love it. With all of the power it really makes the front end seem light. I have done some mods to it to make it trail friendly, but mostly just getting the right components to jet it right. I run very clean from 2500' to 8500'.

I haven't had any headaches with my bike and it is easy to start. (I am only 5'4 145lbs full gear) Easy to maintain and parts are easily available. I would definately recommend my bike to anyone who wants to ride trails. It is a kick in sand washes!!

I would stay away from the 98's as all I have read about them is the rear shock is horrible and stiff. Other than that, good luck in finding a bike.

Brenda

CK

Mar 29, 2005
I owned a 96 360 SX and it was stiff, but light. The seat was a rock, the 'zocchi forks leaked and were harsh, the shock was nice though (Ohlins). The motor was like a works 250 IMHO. It was very stabile and it held up very well. I don't think it turned well at all - compared to my CR250, that is... I think it was 221 lbs?

Fix the seat and the forks and it's a nice bike. It ain't no 500 tho. My old CR would womp it bad in a drag. If you can find a 97, it was the best open classer of that year. I didn't like mx racing open class bikes. They're good for the desert and dunes, but tiring as heck on a track or in tight stuff. I'd rather have less power with less fatigue than a brutal bike that I don't like to ride.

If you want something light, get a 250.

johne4

Feb 11, 2004
owning a 99 380 I must say its not a 500 its a 380! that being said, the ktm 380 is an awsome machine. It kinda gives you the best of both worlds It handles o.k. when set up and feels like a 250. When you turn the throttle you can really feel the power you might find in a true open class bike. Like you have said before there out there at bargain prices. parts are readily available and there are no inherent problems with the 380's try too find the newest one you can. unfortunately ktm stopped making 380's in 2002. there are still many clean low hour machines out there if you look. Good luck

Jones

Dec 10, 2000
For what its worth - I went from a KX 500 with a few "woodsy" mods (suspension and a flywheel weight) to a 99 380 EXC. The 380 is easier to ride fast, and handles much better in the tight stuff. I've only felt I'd be better off with the KX if I let myself get out of shape. You can just twist on the 500 and count on there being more power to get you over the hill - the 380 demands a more aggressive style, but it is faster. Is it down a few ponies? Sure. Do they matter? Nope.

riverside

Aug 17, 2001
I have ownened a '95 440, '94 550,'00 380, and am now riding an '02 520. I have to say the 380 is the one I wish i still had. Light weight and tons of power. I rode it in the desert and the woods both places it was great. From what I have read I wouldn't buy anything earlier than the '00 and would prefer the '02 because of small changes in suspension.

Mark Burnette

Aug 4, 2022
Thanx, but the site kept locking my computer up. What I'd like is for owners, or previous owners, of these bikes to step forward and give me their opinions. While we're at it, I'm also interested in 2002 and earlier 250 and 300 mxc and exc. Are they heavy, light, handle good, bad? Do you think they are heavier or lighter than a Kawi KLX300r?? Fast or radical fast? Maintenance, tuning easy or hard? There's always a few of these for sale for good prices, though they are kind of beaters, but I'm looking for a powerful beater that roosts!!! :aj: And I want it to be a two stroke. Blast away guys........
B.
My name is mark and I raced at 380 in 1998 and 99 and did very well on it now I have a 2002 380 that I have just completely gone through powder coated frame powder coated swing arm and powder coated sub frame They weigh 228 pounds and they I'm saying they handle like a dream just have Dick's racing do your suspension and you'll have the best bike on the planet

Mark Burnette

Aug 4, 2022
How can a bike with 5-6 less hp "blow away a kx500"? Yes I've got one?LOL
Actually I rode a 95 440exc and found it had quite a bit of power but really smooth.Too smooth for me.I'd like to try the 550.
I have gotten a lot of whole shots in the desert against KX5 hundreds &c R5 hundreds On my KTM380

Mark Burnette

Aug 4, 2022
B.
They are much lighter than AKLX 303 100 which weighs almost 300 pounds The KTMs are around 230 pounds

Mark Burnette

Aug 4, 2022
Still Lookin at 'em...KTM 300, 360, 380, 440 2 strokes

Thanx KTM Pete. Your advise is welcomed. After a break (modding the klx300), I am re-visiting the older ktm subject. Still see them for sale for good prices. One of these $1600 360 or 380's seems like it might be a good mountain-fireroad-hillclimb-roost brute :aj: that I don't have to worry too much about. Do you feel this is true?? Or will I have headaches?? Of course I will give it maintenance - I enjoy working on my bikes!! :ride:
B.
Get the 380 you will love the lowen power

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom