xwolfbagx

Mar 8, 2004
Hey i just got a kx 125 from my friend a few weeks ago and im trying to make sure everything is good on it. First thing is the clutch...that was weird from the beginning..i dont know a lot of stuff about dirt bikes so thats why im posting this so if im wrong correct me.

should the biike idle with the clutch pulled in and in first or any other gear? cuz its not doing that..and my friend came over and he was like..ya whenever you hear it start cutting out just rev it...and i was like oh ok..but then today i was like.no.....it should be able to just sit there without reving cuz when its in neutral you dont have to touch the gas at all and it stays on. but then you pull the cluthc in, get it in first and it jumps a tiny bit and sometimes it doesnt cut out and most of the time you can tell its about to and you have to rev it every 2 seconds ...its like the clutch is catching and when you rev it just slips it i guess?...haha i dont know...just hlep.....so thats it for the clutch

kickstart....doesnt catch unles you go down really slow and then feel it catch ...tehn you can kick it...how much would i have to spend to fix it?......

and those are the two things worrying me right now...i just bought a fatty pipe for it so thats sweet..but i wish i knew how to get this clutch stuff working and i see a lot of oil leaking by the chain sprocket...around the shifter too...and its looking like the trans oil..greyish from the aluminum plates?

well bottom line is i wish i knew more about bikes and i want it running perfect....so any suggestions on maintinence or anything sincei just got it from my friend would be appreciated.

here are some pictures
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287401813

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
About your bike!!!

Your bike has a worn clutch Basket the plates have worn notches into the outer clutch basket not allowing the plates to release so the clutch drags. the oil is gray you said in my opinion it sounds like a blown waterpump seal oil should never be grey even with worn plates the kick starter has a worn ratcheting mechanism or the spring does not have enough preload on it most likely worn

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Hey Tavis....my brother just purchased a 1996 CR250 and I changed the oil for the first time and noticed that the oil was grey as well but have not noticed any consumption of coolant (that I can tell). The Clymer manual says to look at the week hole located under the water pump for signs of coolant or oil seepage which would indicate a bad oil or water seal.
What's your opinion on this? ...and the gray oil without noticed coolant consumption...I'm worried. :ohmy:

I just did a top end job with Wiseco piston, total cleaned and adjusted the power valves, new reeds and FMF pipe, cleaned carb etc.

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
The CR uses aluminum clutch plates if the oil is gray foamy looking then it is a bad waterpump seal if it is just a little grey it is more than likely just from the aluminum clutch plates

Bizerk

Feb 28, 2004
Thanks Travis. I will keep an eye on it. I just changed the oil and will do a second change soon just to clean it out. It did not look foamy to my, just kinda greay..weird.

I started a different thread on this to get other peoples input so as not to use up this guys thread on a different topic.

Thank you!!
:worship:

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
I wouldn't be too worried about it not idling in gear with the clutch in. Either the clutch basket is slightly worn, or it could be that the clutch is slightly out of adjustment. You need to go buy a manual for your bike, you can get them for about $20 online, and read it. If you have a friend, or a friend-of-a-friend who is mechanically inclined, you might want to have them come over and help you adjust the clutch (or just follow the procedure in the manual) and teach you some stuff. Once you get a basic mechanical understanding of your bike, you start to pick up little bits of information all the time, which can help you later on.

The fact that the kickstarter doesn't grab right means someone has seriously kicked the heck out of that bike, which means the rest of the tranny is probably not in the best of shape. The grey oil supports this conclusion. Although I am far from being an expert on newer bikes, I would suggest draining and replacing the oil, checking the coolant level, and running the bike for a while. Then drain the oil again and see what it looks like. Also check the coolant level. If it has dropped, you're leaking water in the bottom end. Time to replace a gasket I believe...

Top Bottom