Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
The current condition of my clutch is bad. Clutch pull seems very hard and letting out the clutch is the not smooth but wants to grab more than it should. I tested the cable and it is not the problem, the problem lies in the clutch. Im guessing that the plates and or basket need replacing as the bike has had a few years of use. I will look for notches in the basket and worn out plates. Do I need to replace the clutch gaskets every time I take off the clutch cover? When choosing new plates or basket what brands are good and should I use steal plates, aluminum, or the kevlar? I don't want to just file down the parts and postpone the problems until they get serious I will buy new parts. When calculating the cost of the procedure I could easily spend $400 + in new parts alone. Does this seem appropiate for a problem such as this. I have a service manual for the bike and plan to do the work myself , is the a tough task to do, and is there drilling required for the basket? Thank you for your time and advice in advanced.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If it has an oring type gasket on the clutch cover, no. You shouldn't have to replace it everytime. I think that bike has an oring.

Depends on what you're looking for in the clutch.. I'd go with steel. It'll give you a bit more rotating mass, so a slight bump in the bottom end. Not much.

For the basket, I'd go with Hinson or Wiseco.. Just my preference.

You may have to drill out the rivets on the basket, depending on which one you get. It's not hard and should come with instructions.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Thanks again Indy.

I heard Hinson suggests not to use kevlar plates with their basket, is this true?
For the plates would you say that steel will be more reliable in the long run?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Get a basket with stainless covers. Get the hinson inner and outer hubs. Fresh set of Honda plates and fibers. Throw a set of crf 450 springs and it will be bullet proof. Or just go all oem, save a nice chunk of change till you need that clutch set up. Honda makes the best fibers and steel is the way to go. Do not forget the bent lock washer also, replace frequently!

Top Bottom