Questions Regarding Fork Rebuild.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Hey guys,

I have been looking into rebuilding my forks for my 2002 CR250. The seals are currently not leaking.

I am quite mechanical by nature and don't mind doing this myself. But I do have a few questions before I get into it.

The problem I have is I am almost positive that the fork oil has never been changed on this bike. I am worried that the lack of maintenance may have caused other parts to wear out. So besides the common seals and o rings what else can I expect to need. If possible I would like to have the required parts on hand before I begin the work.

Next question: Do I really need a damper holder? It seems if I can use vice grips (very loosely set) or even an adjustable wrench. What about the seal driver...can I force the seal in using the old ones?

Thanks for the help!

honest-al

Apr 22, 2009
I have done a of of fork re-builds and I never use a dampner holder. I use a air wrench. Just spin it quick and the bolt will come out with no problem.
If they are conventional forks you can use the old seals to install your new ones but if they are inverted that won't work.
I use a piece of alloy round stock and tap them in like you would a bearing.

bigt94550

Jan 29, 2004
I just replaced my fork seals on my 01 cr250. I don't have any of the "special" tools. I used vise grips or an old pipe wrench. I fashioned a seal driver out of black PVC pipe (search forums for instructions) The biggest help was the You Tube video. I had my forks laid out, pressed play on the lap top and followed along. Cover your keyboard with saran wrap and you'll be set.

Top Bottom