Gibbo

Jul 2, 2012
Hi guys,

My engine has blown and virtually destroyed itself in my 1992 KDX 200

what engine's will fit in my frame ?

I've had a quick look for a new engine and cant find any in tthe UK yet so I wantn to widen my search....

cheers.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Personally, I'd sell the bike in the condition its in and look for a newer model. The amount you'll need to spend to get it going again will be close to that of another newer bike, and at the end of the day it's still a 20 year old bike. I'm talking from personal experience here too.

What happened to your engine?

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
What is "blown" to be more exact?LOL Destroyed itself?.... as EYY and piston both pointed out valid points(on either side of the equation though). If you are not "in love" with your bike and planning on keeping it, may be worth getting something else.
BUT almost anything can be repaired - if you can find all the parts that is. Also dont forget that the older bikes are becoming more sought after for VMX(vintage motor cross for those that dont know)

Dec 15, 2010
i would have to agree with EYY after giving it some more thought, to rebuild your kdx motor will see you the best part of £400/£500+ labour, a 200 kdx (88/93) isnt worth much more than that to buy anyway besides its knocking on a bit now...sell it/break it put on ebay & trawl some of your money back & put it towards a newer kdx ..there are some tidy ones on ebay lately going for a reasonable price...even a brand new un-used 2005 220 !!!!!

geoffro

Nov 16, 2007
Any of you guys SEEN gibbo's "old" kdx photos(before and after, pg2 of forum)
Heck its 10 times nicer than my '05. I would easily sink money into that old girl...

Dec 15, 2010
cant seem to find it??? from what i`ve read its the SR imported (european) version & not the `enduro` spec model...parts over here (UK) will be hard to source for this bike...most parts are different from the enduro model so interchanging parts from this version could prove a pain...i`m not saying it cant be done but if you have the time, money & a bit of skill & knowledge anything is possible.

EYY

May 22, 2010
If you're thinking about spending the money to rebuild it, you should also consider the condition of the rest of the bike. To purchase new swing arm and linkage bearings for example, it cost me US$400, which is almost half of the value of the bike itself.

So you might be able to justify spending a bit on the engine if the rest of the bike is in good condition.

As for it being the sr model, most, if not all of the engine parts are the same, apart from the cylinder and the right hand crankcase halve (has a hole to accommodate the oil pump behind the kickstarter). Apparently the cylinder porting is different too, but I think that's about it for the differences engine wise.

Dec 15, 2010
carb is much smaller (28mm) on this model as is the reed block & airbox boot, tank is metal not plastic also has alot more wireing in the loom for switch gear/indicators etc & the stator is more heavy duty to power the above,they came with pillion foot pegs too,i also think these bikes came with blue annodized USD forks as standard? the oil pump & oil tank can be ditched to run pre mix but more work is involved in making perform more like the enduro spec 200 kdx..we never had many of these here in the UK i think ive only ever seen 1 or 2.

Gibbo

Jul 2, 2012
Hi guys, so far I've managed to source a head for it which came today and is in good condition...so I'm getting parts which is good...

So this is what happened, I was flat out running at high speed and the top end needle bearing went and some of the needles managed to get into the combustion chamber and well you can imagine the mess...

The piston looks like it has been shot at a million times and is fubar'd and has battered edges.

The inside of the barrel didn't get away with it either, there are score marks on nearly all of it and at some point a needle has gouged out a real massive deep channel up one side and has even cracked an edge off of one of the ports...

the bootom end seems ok but I'm guessing that there may be bits down in there that I want to get out...

can anyone tell me how many needles there are in the top end bearing please so I can try and account for all of them..

I need a head (got that)
a new barrel/cylinder
a new piston
a new top bearing
a gasket so not the end of the world....

here's a pic of the old girl and i'm quite attached to her.....bless it.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=182485

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Gibbo, This is a great project be sure to update us with lots of pics along the way. I am not sure how many pins are in the roller bearing, I was thinking that while the engine is apart that it might be a good idea to replace the bigend engine bearings as well. Because when one of these bearings fail it will mean another full engine rebuild.
Thing that I am getting at is you would not want to have done a full engine rebuild and then two months down the line have to rebuild it again due to a bearing.
Ps your bike looks great, well worth the rebuild :)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, like pistons said....you really should think about doing the lower end as well. Those needles had to go down through the crankcase to make their way into the combustion chamber.

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
If you do end up stripping the engine down, a user manual will be a big help also take lots of pictures of stuff while your removing parts and get some labled bags to put nuts & bolts ect in.

Gibbo

Jul 2, 2012
Well she is all back together now. managed to find someone breaking an engine and had 99% of the bits I needed and were all in great condition.

I didn't bother with the big end as I was able to flush the bottom end out and it's now free from any crap.

The bike started on the second kick and sounds as sweet as a nut. I purchased a new gudgeon pin and new top end bearing and the inside of the conrod was smooth and undamaged etc etc.

she runs is the main thing and sound alot better than she did before.

I also adjusted the oil so she is getting a little more than she was before so she's well protected now....

:-)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Glad to hear it's running! If you are adding more oil to fuel when mixing be careful. This will cause a slight leaning of the jetting and if it's on the edge could cause more harm than good. Going up a size on the main or raising the needle a clip will add some more fuel as a cushion to keep things slippery and cool. I like 32:1 with Klotz personally, I've had some issues running higher ratios. The 50:1 stuff makes me nervous. Good oil burns clean and builds more power while reducing heat and wear, why not make sure you're getting plenty of THAT? Find an oil and ratio you're comfortable with and spend an afternoon jetting the bike to suit and she'll love you long time, lol.

Top Bottom