allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
thumbs said:
Try measuring the diameter of the pole that you are going to use.

There in lies the problem. I'm taking a trip to Silver lake sand dunes Michigan at the end of July and will be buying the required flag from the shop at the park when I get there.

I'd like to make up a mount ahead of time.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I would guess it would be best to talk to the people in Michigan about what size your hole needs to be.

Either that or buy your flag locally. I can't imagine there are that many different flags out there that something you could get somewhere else wouldn't work there.

When I look HERE, they say the requirements consist of "Rectangular, safety orange flags reaching 10 foot in height required on all ORVs."

I'd bet they have those in Canada.

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
XRpredator said:
When I look HERE, they say the requirements consist of "Rectangular, safety orange flags reaching 10 foot in height required on all ORVs."

I'd bet they have those in Canada.

You'd be surprised how hard that particular type of flag is to find. Literally, the ONLY place I could source one is the dune shop right at Silver Lake (go figure).

I just assumed they'd all mount up to the same size hole and someone could give me a quick answer.

I suppose that's not the case and I'll have to do some more research. :bang:

Thanks anyway.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
not sure if you can see the mount on my RM but it bolts into your seat bolts and comes back over the rear fender which uses a metal hook to lock it on the fender so it doesnt move. Best flag mount I have seen, and was constantly getting asked about it at the dunes. Bought it from some shop in Yuma AZ near the dunes but have seen it online at a few places. I think it was $35 so its reasonable, but if your crafty with the welder go ahead. I can send you a bigger pic if needed but here is a quick shot of it. Kind of hard to really see it, can get you better shots when battery is charged for camera.

(Yellow Bike)
Picture255.jpg

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
sick 96 250 said:
not sure if you can see the mount on my RM but it bolts into your seat bolts and comes back over the rear fender which uses a metal hook to lock it on the fender so it doesnt move. Best flag mount I have seen, and was constantly getting asked about it at the dunes. Bought it from some shop in Yuma AZ near the dunes but have seen it online at a few places. I think it was $35 so its reasonable, but if your crafty with the welder go ahead. I can send you a bigger pic if needed but here is a quick shot of it. Kind of hard to really see it, can get you better shots when battery is charged for camera.

That is the exact mount that I plan on making up to save the $35.00. All I need to know is what size hole is on the back of it for the flag.

HELP!!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Like someone else said, you NEED TO CALL THE PLACE YOUR GETTING THE FLAG FROM. They come in all shapes and sizes. Unless someone on here has the same exact flag you're getting then you'll get 20 different answers. JUST CALL THE PLACE IN MICH AND ASK THEM HOW BIG THE HOLE NEEDS TO BE. :cool:

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Green Horn said:
Like someone else said, you NEED TO CALL THE PLACE YOUR GETTING THE FLAG FROM. They come in all shapes and sizes. Unless someone on here has the same exact flag you're getting then you'll get 20 different answers. JUST CALL THE PLACE IN MICH AND ASK THEM HOW BIG THE HOLE NEEDS TO BE. :cool:

I agree, However, the 800 # at the place that has the flags http://www.shopdavidallenracing.com/shop.htm won't work for me and when contacting him by email he only tells me that I need to buy one of HIS mounts that attaches to the swing-arm. :bang: I'd rather mount the flag to the sub-frame if possible.

But, if like you said there's many different sizes, maybe I'll just go with a 1/2" hole and hope for the best. Maybe I can rig it up better when I get there.

Thanks.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
allthingsdirt said:
when contacting him by email he only tells me that I need to buy one of HIS mounts

Well then...I'd be looking for mounts and flags from someone else. Might even give him some free advice on customer service. Hell, you're trying to buy one of his flags if he'd help you out just a bit.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
drill big and bring yourself some duct tape to wrap around the base of the flag if the fit isn't snug enough.

I would be that it won't be 1/2 inch. Probably closer to 1/4. (that's like 13mm and 7mm, respectively and approximately, for you canuckleheads)

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
mine is a 1/2" hole. Most flags I seen will be connect to bolt mount that size but do yourself a favor and get the quick connect flag mount because I guarantee you will swing your leg over and snap the flag (I did it twice), with the quick connect if you do that you just loosen it up and slide the flag back down into the mount and tighten the piece and your good.

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
sick 96 250 said:
mine is a 1/2" hole. Most flags I seen will be connect to bolt mount that size but do yourself a favor and get the quick connect flag mount because I guarantee you will swing your leg over and snap the flag (I did it twice), with the quick connect if you do that you just loosen it up and slide the flag back down into the mount and tighten the piece and your good.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
oh yeah make sure you get the proper flag thickness, if you get a quick connect it will tell which size is recommended. There are two basic sizes for the flag poles and you want the thicker one, the skinny ones break is a second. Look at any quick connect and it will tell you which size it is, I think its like 5/16's or something is the correct size but cant remember off the top of my head. Let me know if you have any more questions, almost all ATV and dirt bike flags have standard sizes, it when you go custom flags you can change up the sizes and strengths.

Higgsy

Mar 23, 2005
I rode there last year and bought the flag and mount from the dune shop next door (can't remember them name at the moment) but the flag needs a 1/2" hole.
I am going again this weekend for some more paddling.

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
I made up my mount last weekend with a 1/2 hole for the flag. Saved a cool $32.00 and had some fun.

Thanks to all that helped. :cool:

Attachments

• flagmount1.JPG
    flagmount1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 59
Top Bottom