Quick Idling/Carb/Jetting question..

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I'm trying to get my KX to idle half way decently to a point where I can take my hand off the throttle for a half of a second without it dying from the stock idle. I am running a step smaller (leaner) pilot jet and 2 turns out on the air screw. I understand the jetting and everything, but one thing I do not understand is the idle screw.. How should I go about setting this?

I turned it IN just about all the way, and left the air screw the same, and it deffinetly is idling now, but seems as if running at really low RPM's, but at a point where it idles for a while, and is ideal for me.. My question is, is this bad to do, having the idle screw pretty much almost all the way in? I noticed that after idling it and letting it warm up, I rode around for like 5 minutes around my property and it was spooging a tiny bit afterwards, which it usually never does anymore. Should I go another half turn out on the air screw? Did the idle screw adjustment do anything to effect my jetting that I should work on, such as leaning it out a tiny bit more?

Thanks a lot in advance!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I have to turn the idle screw in pretty far on my KX too. It's not going to hurt anything. My bike idles great, they are usually not set to idle as deliverd from the factory. The idle does not affect the jetting. Just make sure the bike is good and warm before you try to set it.

Top Bottom