Quitting Smoking

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
AssistSuper said:
At this point in time, quitting smoking just isn't feasible.

Just curious as to exactly why it isn't feasible. :think:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Considering certain circumstances and situations (that I'm not going to go into detail about on a public forum), I just don't feel like I'm "ready" to quit smoking.

I'll know when the time is right. No sense in even humoring myself in attempting if that drive isn't there, because I'll just be setting myself up for failure.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Not trying to needle you. You are right, the mindset has to be there to have a chance at sucess. Food for thought though. There is never a good time to quit. It will test you in ways you never thought possible. The end result is more than worth it.

I wish you sucess when you decide that the time is right for you.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Congrats GreenHorn, before you know it, that year will be here :cool:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005

Agreed. And I didn't take you as needling me.

I agree that there really is never a good time to quit. In the past, it's just been so much easier to "do it tomorrow". So I understand what you're saying, but I can safely and confidently say, now is definately not the time. :bang:

I'll be ready for the time when I don't have a constant sore throat and a nagging cough through the entire winter.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I knew it was time when I would lay down at night, and would start whistling as I breathed. Nice wake up call for me.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
November 26 it will be 18 months since I smoked my last cigarette. I still chew on toothpicks a little, but I have no desire to light up again. Just walking past the smokers break room at work now makes my stomach turn sour from the smell. :yikes:

Papakeith, that was one of my wake up calls also.

AssistSuper, when you do quit, the sore throats and nagging cough go away. :think: :)

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
I'm still hanging in there. AssistSuper, for what it is worth, I started smoking arround 1968. The first time I quit was Jan. 1st this year. If I can do it so can you. Pick a good time and set your mind to it. It is hard at first, but it gets easier with time. These guys here sure do help!!!! I appreciate each and everyone of them. Thanks guys!!!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I'm cutting down, but its jsut really hard, beacuse i'm one of those people that can't do something if i constantly think about it. Hanging out with nonsmokers is helping me cut down. I jsut broke up with my bf, well, he dumped me, but its one of the best things, i'm not constantly around ciggarettes all the time, and my freinds keep introducing me to awesome guys, lol, about 6 so far, and only one of them smoked, and i have enough respect to not smoke around people who don't.... so thats working out good. I havent been working the part month or so at the cattle barn, mainly beacuse of gas, but i've been putting applications in all over, so that'll help too. I hope to have significantly cut down, to the point of quitting, by holiday time. If i quit though, i dont know what i'll get for holiday presents. Usaully i get a pack in my stocking and evenfor Valentine's Day. My dad's gonna hafta start giving me money for doing firewood now too.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Green Horn said:
How's everyone else donig? Perry, Sparx, Roost etc...???
I'm still a quitter.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sweet. :cool:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Very cool MxSparxx and Plykins..
Pyro, when your ready too completely kick the habit, you can be around all the smokers and it wont matter.. Your taking a step in the right direction :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
some of my saved money may have to go for a suspension mod , i now have 26 lbs more race sag :yikes: :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Got too find another activity, i dont know if you smoke in your house or not (i didn't) it was recomended that when i would normally go out for a smoke (after dinner etc..) too go for a 5-10 minute walk. Just an idea.. Congrats on your sucess, how long has it been for you??
Rick

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
:) 1-24-05

im not complaining, i felt underweight before now i just feel about right

6' 0" 198#

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Aggghhh, I'm taking a step.

I think after I finish off this carton, which will most likely be in a week or less, I'm going to give quitting a shot.

I walked up 4 flights of stairs the other day and was pretty winded. I had to stop and catch my breath before I went in to talk to my professor.

Spending $30+ a week on cigs is too much! I could be using that money on riding. I'll check back when the carton is gone.

Any words of wisdom?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Change your schedule.. When i first quit, i would smoke before work (we couldnt smoke while actually working unless i walked outside too do something) I actually would get too work and close my eyes for a few.. I had an alarm clock set.. Another thing that helped me was (dont laugh it worked for me HA!!) thinking that every day of not smoking was like building a brick wall, so each day you add a brick.. weird but it worked for me.. Good luck, i wish you sucess..
Rick

Ride for fun

Oct 28, 2005
Good luck to you all!

Quitting smoking is one hard habit to kick. :bang:

Good luck!

P.S. I know that different things work for different people but cold turkey is the only thing that worked for me.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
anyone else noticing that quitting is contagious, so far a coworker decided if i could he could......................sweet man. hes doing good . my sister also quit and doing good.......................gets me a little choked up to think i may have initiated that............AWESOME :nod:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
AssistSuper said:
I got cold feet and wussed out.

cold feet is a symptom of nicotine overdose :rotfl: :rotfl:

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
ellandoh said:
cold feet is a symptom of nicotine overdose :rotfl: :rotfl:

Haha....yeah that crazy blood flow.

I can't even remember why I wussed out on my quit date. I needs to set a new one.

I'm going to assume my excuse for not quitting was I woke up that day.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
AssistSuper said:
Haha....yeah that crazy blood flow.

I can't even remember why I wussed out on my quit date. I needs to set a new one.

I'm going to assume my excuse for not quitting was I woke up that day.

give yourself an early christmas present.......if you quit today you could potentially save enough by christmas for a ?????

plykins

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
AssistSuper said:
I got cold feet and wussed out.
When you're ready to quit you will know it. You are on the right track though. You'll do it one day and we will be here for you when you do.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
ellandoh said:
give yourself an early christmas present.......if you quit today you could potentially save enough by christmas for a ?????

See that was a large chunk of my motivation. I figured if I quit, I'd have a good $200 to spend for Christmas....that's a lot I could spend on the bike.

I wouldn't need much more to pick up those nifty Gaerne SG10s I've been having my eye on. Or I could get my frame all powdercoated....or I could put it to a suspension revalve....or...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…